[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] tokenring <--> ethernet bridge

dan@dribble.c-mols.siu.edu (Dan Ellison) (04/16/91)

>From:         James Dryfoos- PostMaster <DMPM%DUKEMC.BITNET@NCSUVM.NCSU.EDU>
>Subject:      bridging ip packets from token ring to ethernet
>
>This question probably comes up once a month, so I figure it is my turn.
>
>I would like to use a pc to bridge tcp/ip packets from a token ring
>net to an 802.3 net.  We current bridge IPX through a novell server, but
>need to have IP.  Is something like a pc with a token ring board and
>802.3 board running the right software good?
>What software would be best (would like it to be free)?
>
>Thanks,  Jim Dryfoos

ka9q NOS with the Clarkson packet drivers should get you where you want to be.
You can (so I hear) even pass both IPX and TCP through with the right packet
driver installed (ipxpkt I believe it is.)  As I stated in an earlier message
I use this setup to route between our building tokenring backbone and the
local ethernet (just TCP though, no NOVELL here!)  Good luck.

By the way.  ka9q is free to universities and HAMS.  The latest version
is on thumper.bellcore.com for anonymous ftp and the packet drivers
are on sun.soe.clarkson.edu in the ka9q directory.
--
+ Dan Ellison, Network Admin	- internet: dan%c-mols@siucvmb.cdale.siu.edu +