[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NCSA vs CUTCP. What's the difference?

psm@manta.NOSC.MIL (Scot Mcintosh) (04/08/91)

I've been watching this newsgroup for a while, but haven't
seen the answer to this question go by. Why are there two
divergent lines of development going on for telnet?  Is
there a reason I should pick one over the other (one
reason could be that CUTCP doesn't seen to offer source).
Can someone enlighten me on the history behind this
seeming schism?

srodawa@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) (04/09/91)

In article <1881@manta.NOSC.MIL> psm@manta.NOSC.MIL (Scot Mcintosh) writes:
>Can someone enlighten me on the history behind this
>seeming schism?

NCSA began as just that, a program from the National Center for Supercomputer
Applications at UIUC.  Clarkson picked it up and added several improvements.
These included support of the packet driver spec, 3270 emulation, Turbo C
compatability, bug fixes, environment variable specification of the Config.Tel
file location, etc.  The real NCSA group chose to not accept all these improve-
ments.  That cast the die for two divergent products.  Clarkson then renamed
theirs CUTCP to avoid confusion.  The lack of source from Clarkson happened
independently of all that.  It was available freely for the earlier versions.
You can blame that on overzealous university attorneys.  These are my
personal impressions of what has happened.  Perhaps others see it differently.

It is too bad that NCSA and Clarkson can't combine their efforts for a single
unified program.  Being universities, they have meager resources.  It would
be nice if those resources could be conserved by joint program improvements.

--
| Ronald J. Srodawa               | Internet: srodawa@vela.oakland.edu      |
| School of Engineering and CS    | UUCP:     srodawa@vela.UUCP             |

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (04/16/91)

psm@manta.NOSC.MIL (Scot Mcintosh) writes:

>I've been watching this newsgroup for a while, but haven't
>seen the answer to this question go by. Why are there two
>divergent lines of development going on for telnet?  Is
>there a reason I should pick one over the other (one
>reason could be that CUTCP doesn't seen to offer source).
>Can someone enlighten me on the history behind this
>seeming schism?
*----
Telnet doesn't seem to be a high priority for NCSA anymore.  Note
that the latest version is in its 13th or so Beta-test implementation!
Clarkson came out with a packet driver version much sooner.  NCSA is
unlikely to come out with 3270 support in the foreseeable future (we
need that even if everybody else doesn't).

Clarkson provides more active support and a more robust product.

The FTP Software PC-TCP package beats them both in functionality and
flexibility, but of course it costs substantially more.

--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

mer6g@fuggles.acc.Virginia.EDU (Marc Rouleau) (04/16/91)

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) writes:
|Telnet doesn't seem to be a high priority for NCSA anymore.  Note
|that the latest version is in its 13th or so Beta-test implementation!
|Clarkson came out with a packet driver version much sooner.  NCSA is
|unlikely to come out with 3270 support in the foreseeable future (we
|need that even if everybody else doesn't).
|
|Clarkson provides more active support and a more robust product.

But they *don't* provide source.  From our point of view that's a
crucial failing.  Brad Clements has taken great pains to point out
that he does not support this product in any official capacity.
The official Clarkson attitude seems to be "use it at your own risk".
In other words, if it's broken in your environment Brad'll fix it
if he feels like it, but under no circumstances will you be allowed
to fix it yourself.  And if you need to modify it to do something
that's important to your site but not to Brad, you're just out of
luck.

Sigh.

    -- Marc Rouleau

chapman@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary Chapman) (04/16/91)

This would be a slightly more tolerable situation if Clarkson would
release SOURCE!  Has anyone ever received a definitive statement
whether or not Clarkson would release source code?

 - Gary Chapman, New York University

jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jeff Stern) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr15.170113@fuggles.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
  marc@Virginia.EDU writes:

>But [Clarkson *doesn't*] provide source.  From our point of view that's a
>crucial failing.  Brad Clements has taken great pains to point out
>that he does not support this product in any official capacity.
>The official Clarkson attitude seems to be "use it at your own risk".
>In other words, if it's broken in your environment Brad'll fix it
>if he feels like it, but under no circumstances will you be allowed
>to fix it yourself.  And if you need to modify it to do something
>that's important to your site but not to Brad, you're just out of
>luck.
>
>Sigh.

(This is NOT directed at anyone in particular, PLEASE) BUT, I have paid
alot more for software from "professional, supportive, (you fill in the
blank)" companies, and gotten the same response! :) So for the money...

...Jeff Stern
------------------------->jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu<-------------------------

mer6g@fuggles.acc.Virginia.EDU (Marc Rouleau) (04/17/91)

jstern@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jeff Stern) writes:
>(This is NOT directed at anyone in particular, PLEASE) BUT, I have paid
>alot more for software from "professional, supportive, (you fill in the
>blank)" companies, and gotten the same response! :) So for the money...

So far, the support Brad Clements has given CUTE/CUTCP is comparable
to that afforded many commercial products, but he explicitly disavows
all responsibility to continue that support.  I tend to think that
the product is mature enough now that whether or not he'll continue
to fix bugs and correct critical functional deficiencies is not such
an important issue.

But if you need to do something special-purpose with it (port
whois or webster or finger or add a new way of getting the
workstation's IP address or whatever), you can't.  And with NCSA's
product (that's what we were comparing it to, right?), you can.

    -- Marc Rouleau

erick@sunee.waterloo.edu (Erick Engelke) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.101536@fuggles.acc.Virginia.EDU> marc writes:
>But if you need to do something special-purpose with it (port
>whois or webster or finger or add a new way of getting the
>workstation's IP address or whatever), you can't.  And with NCSA's
>product (that's what we were comparing it to, right?), you can.

People interested in developing new applications might wish to look
at Waterloo TCP.  It's BSD UNIX-similar and applications can be easily adapted
to or from any of the commercial stacks.

FINGER, REXEC, and several other applications have already been ported
and typically with far less code that is necessary with NCSA.  Our
PING, LPR, FINGER, and other programs are also far smaller than
NCSA, typically less than 30K.

Source for the applications code is available via anonymous FTP to
sunee.uwaterloo.ca [129.97.128.196] in pub/wattcp/*.arc and an in-depth
manual is available at a fee.  There is no licensing fee or royalties.
Details of the mailing list are included in the archive files.

Source code for the TCP libraries themselves is not available publicly,
but the project is under active development so any bug reports are explored.

Erick

Erick Engelke                                       Watstar Computer Network
Watstar Network Guy                                   University of Waterloo
Erick@Development.Watstar.UWaterloo.ca              (519) 885-1211 Ext. 2965