[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] IPX and Packet configuration

peterh@gollum.uio.no (Peter Hausken) (04/11/91)

I'm about to install NCSA Telnet on som machines using NOVELL NetWare
2.15 C. I've made the ipx.com using shgen with BYU drivers for Packet
interface. At the end of the documentation there is a description of
how to use ECONFIG to change som NetWare drivers for using a different
format on Ethernet packets. Could someone please tell me the exact
steps I have to do for doing it safe and sound. I know pretty little
about NetWare and don't want to destroy more than I have to.

/-USIT---UiO--Universitetets-Senter-for-Informasjonsteknologi--UiO----USIT-\
Peter Hausken, University of Oslo, PB. 1059, Blindern, N-0316 OSLO 3, Norway
Internet: Peter.Hausken@USIT.UiO.NO  (peterh@UNINETT.NO)  Voice:+47-2-453524
X.400 SA: G=Peter;S=Hausken;OU=USE;O=UiO;P=UNINETT;A= ;C=NO Fax:+47-2-455770
\-USIT---UiO---University-Centre-for-Information-Technology----UiO----USIT-/

jrd@cc.usu.edu (04/14/91)

In article <910311.155135.peterh@snehvit>, peterh@gollum.uio.no (Peter Hausken) writes:
> I'm about to install NCSA Telnet on som machines using NOVELL NetWare
> 2.15 C. I've made the ipx.com using shgen with BYU drivers for Packet
> interface. At the end of the documentation there is a description of
> how to use ECONFIG to change som NetWare drivers for using a different
> format on Ethernet packets. Could someone please tell me the exact
> steps I have to do for doing it safe and sound. I know pretty little
> about NetWare and don't want to destroy more than I have to.
>
> /-USIT---UiO--Universitetets-Senter-for-Informasjonsteknologi--UiO----USIT-\
> Peter Hausken, University of Oslo, PB. 1059, Blindern, N-0316 OSLO 3, Norway
> Internet: Peter.Hausken@USIT.UiO.NO  (peterh@UNINETT.NO)  Voice:+47-2-453524
> X.400 SA: G=Peter;S=Hausken;OU=USE;O=UiO;P=UNINETT;A= ;C=NO Fax:+47-2-455770
> \-USIT---UiO---University-Centre-for-Information-Technology----UiO----USIT-/
----------------------------
Peter,
	You almost mixed two things together to make an unworkable situation.
The BYU Packet Driver code to compose a new IPX file does exactly what it
says: makes IPX talk to a "Packet Driver board", and it converts the protocol
id to TYPE 8137 at the same time.
	ECONFIG is applied to regular drivers, never ever the Packet Driver
kind. If your NetWare server is of the NW/286 flavor then ECONFIG the server
driver of interest. If the server is NW/386 then use frame=Ethernet_II.
	If you have a careful look at the documentation files in the Packet
Driver archive file from Clarkson University there will be discussion of
how to accomplish these things. In addition, following a simple experimental
procedure of test, make a change, test again, make next change, etc does
wonders.
	Joe D.

wmah@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Wayne Mah) (04/18/91)

peterh@gollum.uio.no (Peter Hausken) writes:

> I'm about to install NCSA Telnet on som machines using NOVELL NetWare
> 2.15 C. I've made the ipx.com using shgen with BYU drivers for Packet
> interface. At the end of the documentation there is a description of
> how to use ECONFIG to change som NetWare drivers for using a different
> format on Ethernet packets. Could someone please tell me the exact
> steps I have to do for doing it safe and sound. I know pretty little
> about NetWare and don't want to destroy more than I have to.
>
> /-USIT---UiO--Universitetets-Senter-for-Informasjonsteknologi--UiO----USIT-\
> Peter Hausken, University of Oslo, PB. 1059, Blindern, N-0316 OSLO 3, Norway
> Internet: Peter.Hausken@USIT.UiO.NO  (peterh@UNINETT.NO)  Voice:+47-2-453524
> X.400 SA: G=Peter;S=Hausken;OU=USE;O=UiO;P=UNINETT;A= ;C=NO Fax:+47-2-455770
> \-USIT---UiO---University-Centre-for-Information-Technology----UiO----USIT-/
I'm no expert, but I have successly econfiged my ipx.com and
net$os.exe and it seems to be working fine.

To run econfig, type

econfig ipx.com shell:e 8137
econfig net$os.exe a:e 8137 (the a stands for lan card a).

make a backup of net$os.exe on a bootable floppy disk so that
you can reboot netware from a floppy if you make a mistake.

You shouldn't have too many problems.  Good Luck.

Wayne Mah             ersys!wmah@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982