[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] MS-kermit using ethernet instead of COM ports?

andchan@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andrew Chan) (04/17/91)

I hear that with some software from FTP it can be done, but what about
if I cannot afford buying a copy?

Is there any way at all that MS-kermit can utilize the ethernet?
I see that kermit can set my port to a wide variety of things, including
Novell, will IPXPKT.COM help in this case?

I am asking for the purpose of "knowing more" :-)  We usually
use NCSA Telnet or CUTCP for this purpose...

mark@TELESYS.NCSC.NAVY.MIL ("Mark L. Williams") (04/17/91)

Andrew Chan writes...

>I hear that with some software from FTP it can be done, but what about
>if I cannot afford buying a copy?
>
>Is there any way at all that MS-kermit can utilize the ethernet?
>I see that kermit can set my port to a wide variety of things, including
>Novell, will IPXPKT.COM help in this case?
>
>I am asking for the purpose of "knowing more" :-)  We usually
>use NCSA Telnet or CUTCP for this purpose...

We run 3+Open TCP/IP with DPA on PCs at this time.  This package provides an
FTP client, a set of Network Maintenance Facilities (arp, ping, and netstat),
and a terminal emulator (i.e., telnet with a front end).  The front end uses
the Bridge Application Program Interface (BAPI) to communicate with the telnet
module.  BAPI and telnet are loaded as tsrs.  Any communications program that
can interface with BAPI can be used as a front end.  The 3Com product is
called VT; the manual ((c) 3Com Corp 1989 and the source of the specifics
in this message) provides info for using other terminal emulators, like
Reflection, Softerm, and SmarTerm.  You can use anything else that will, in
general, support interrupt-14 data passing.  MS-kermit will do that, so it
can be used as well.

Some observations:  there are very few products in the front-end category
that we've found that really meet our needs.  VT is very quick but its VT100
emulation is imperfect and its operation is cumbersome in some cases.  Kermit
is the same-old-same-old but SLOW (effective apparent rate maybe 1200-2400
baud).  Most terminal emulators that try sending/receiving just one byte
(or so) at a time just don't perform adequately, especially if your users use
applications that try to paint full screens often.  We are limping along with
VT and Kermit and a contractor-supplied product that fills in some VT
emulation and speed holes, but we're looking hard for something else with the
performance characteristics we would really like.  Reflections seems like a
good candidate in preliminary tests.

BTW, we are also considering changing TCP/IP packages.  Those of you familiar
with FTP Software's products will recognize that the array of products
included in the 3Com package is somewhat limited by comparison.

Mark L. Williams
Head, Telecommunications Branch
Code 7630
Naval Coastal Systems Center
Panama City, FL 32407-5000
(904)235-5153
(mark@telesys.ncsc.navy.mil)

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (04/17/91)

    I hear that with some software from FTP it can be done, but what about
    if I cannot afford buying a copy?

Anything that supports redirection of the PC's BIOS serial communication
interrupt (14h) will do this.  Commercial products from Beame & Whiteside,
FTP Software, 3Com, Wollongong and perhaps now Sun do it.  Of the non-
commercial packages, I'm sure the academic-institutions-only package
from the University of Maryland will do it, but I'm not sure about others.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

erick@sunee.waterloo.edu (Erick Engelke) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.233112.7422@ccu.umanitoba.ca> (Andrew Chan) writes:
>I hear that with some software from FTP it can be done, but what about
>if I cannot afford buying a copy?
>
>Is there any way at all that MS-kermit can utilize the ethernet?

There is a free program called TCPPORT which does exactly as you ask, its
part of the Waterloo TCP package.  Anonymous ftp to 129.97.128.196
and pick up pub/wattcp/beta/apps.arc.  (The version in pub/wattcp/apps.arc
does not convert carriage returns to linefeeds, so you would have to type
^J rather than just hitting return).

Programs such as NCSA or CUTCP TELNET will be much faster since the COM port
adds a *lot* of software overhead for each single character.

If you have trouble getting MS-KERMIT to work over TCPPORT, send me E-mail.

Erick
Erick Engelke                                       Watstar Computer Network
Watstar Network Guy                                   University of Waterloo
Erick@Development.Watstar.UWaterloo.ca              (519) 885-1211 Ext. 2965

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (04/19/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1991 02:52:11 GMT

In article <9104171435.AA26846@ftp.com> jbvb@ftp.com writes:
>Anything that supports redirection of the PC's BIOS serial communication
>interrupt (14h) will do this.  Commercial products from Beame & Whiteside,
>FTP Software, 3Com, Wollongong and perhaps now Sun do it.

Add us to that list too :-) The Novell LAN WorkPlace for DOS contains
an int 14h redirector supporting BAPI, EtherTerm, Int14, Extended Int14
and the NETCI LAN communication interface. It used to support NASI on
int 6Bh but that got pulled recently (I don't think anyone needed NASI
over TELNET, correct me if I'm wrong!). We call ours "TELAPI" and it
contains our own programming extensions for connection setup and tear
down as well as programmatic manipulation of things like TELNET option
negotiations across a circuit.

If someone will tell me the best places to find the various freely
distributable INT 14 using software, I'll try and find a dull Monday
evening when nothing much is happening to check 'em all out (as long as
theres not too many of course :-).

Keith
-
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
2180 Fortune Dr, San Jose, California 95131      Net:   keith@novell.COM