[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] SOSS NFS server, using PCIP

dll@ut-emx.uucp (Don Loflin) (04/19/91)

andchan@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andrew Chan) writes:
>I am wondering if there is a way to get SOSS (the newest version)
>running without anything to do with MIT/Harvard PC/IP?
>
>I mean can I use it with and only with packet driver?  I don't need
>Novell facilities.
>
>I am asking because I don't quite understand how to get the
>netdev.sys talking to a packet driver.  I suppose SOSS needs
>netdev.sys for it's ip, netmask, gateway and related info?

I have also had problems using PCIP with packet drivers.  I need a working
version of rexec/rsh for the PC, and I haven't been able to get the PCIP rexec
to work with the packet drivers.  The various "pcip_pkt.arc" distributions
include no instructions at all, and the custom.exe utility doesn't seem
to know about packet drivers.  The one distribution that had a one page
"you're on your own" letter didn't even include netdev.sys! (This was the
simtel/wuarchive CMU-PCIP).  How do I properly configure PCIP to use packet
drivers, and where is the best place to get the packet driver version of PCIP?

Also, from browsing the docs and using custom.exe, it seems that PCIP
doesn't support ARP, and requires an explicit ARP table.  Is this true,
or do I have an older version?

>Also, ignore my ignorance but will there be a packet driver for
>PPP?  or do they have nothing to do with each other?

I'd like to see this too, especially now that KA9Q NOS supports PPP.  BTW,
how do I set up PPP in that -- specifically, how do I use the packet/header
compression (or does that work yet)?

------
Don Loflin
UT Computation Center