[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] SOSS NFS server

andchan@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andrew Chan) (04/17/91)

I am wondering if there is a way to get SOSS (the newest version)
running without anything to do with MIT/Harvard PC/IP?

I mean can I use it with and only with packet driver?  I don't need
Novell facilities.

I am asking because I don't quite understand how to get the
netdev.sys talking to a packet driver.  I suppose SOSS needs
netdev.sys for it's ip, netmask, gateway and related info?

I found such a modified version (for an older version of soss) on
grape.ecs.clarkson.edu but without much doc's and I could not get it
going either.

How about NFS via the slip8250 packet driver?  for a cheap man like
me :-)  Can it be done?

Also, ignore my ignorance but will there be a packet driver for
PPP?  or do they have nothing to do with each other?

Thanks for any info....

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr16.232406.7083@ccu.umanitoba.ca> andchan@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andrew Chan) writes:
>I am wondering if there is a way to get SOSS (the newest version)
>running without anything to do with MIT/Harvard PC/IP?

	Sure.  Just the packet driver and netdev.sys.  Only
	thing in netdev.sys that needs to be set is your ip address.
	Make sure you use 0x7e as the packet software interrupt.
	BTW, this is one of the most usefull freely available programs
	I have ever seen.  I was maxed out with 2 controllers and
	4 150 meg esdi drives running ISC unix on my home
	system.  I have 300 megs on a spare pc, and with the soss
	running on it, I can now supply up to 600 megs of
	simtel-20 downloaded ibm pc binaries and x-rated gifs to
	my users quite easily.  I can now even back up the pc
	using the UNIX tape drive.  All and all, a very usefull
	program.  Now, all I need is a freely available NFS
	client.

	-randy

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (04/22/91)

  I've a question about SOSS.  I got it running on an 8Mhz AT compatible,
and mounted its drives from another computer running Sun PC-NFS.  Apart
from somewhat slow operation, a peculiar problem popped up. I tried to
execute a program that resided on the server, and it reported that the
program file was not found; however, the amount of available memory on
the client was reduced by the program's size, and I could not get it released.
After a couple of attempts, I didn't have enough memory left to do even a DIR.

What could be the problem?

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what