[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] os/2 tcp/ip

chapman@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary Chapman) (04/26/91)

Does anyone know if IBM's TCP/IP for OS/2 EE 1.1 is compatible with
OS/2 1.3 extended edition?  (Running with Western Digital MCA ethernet
board, by the way).

The software seems to collect packets just fine, but doesn't seem to
send very well, and those that it does send are snap type packets, not
ethernet dix which we require.  Can't seem to find a place in
configuring the software to rule out using snap...

Could my installation of lan requester be involved?  From the documentation
I can't seem to tell whether lan requester and tcp/ip co-exist.  Seems
to me they OUGHT to be able to...

Thanks for any info...

 - Gary Chapman, chapman@nyu.edu
   Academic Computing Facility, NYU

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu (04/26/91)

> From: Gary Chapman <chapman@acf3.nyu.edu>

> Does anyone know if IBM's TCP/IP for OS/2 EE 1.1 is compatible with
> OS/2 1.3 extended edition?  (Running with Western Digital MCA ethernet
> board, by the way).

Yes, we have it running here with IBM's new ethernet board which was
made by WD.  Works fine.

> The software seems to collect packets just fine, but doesn't seem to
> send very well, and those that it does send are snap type packets, not
> ethernet dix which we require.  Can't seem to find a place in
> configuring the software to rule out using snap...

When you configured the ethernet board with comm. mgr. did you specify
802 or DIX format for packets?  It sounds like you specified 802 format.
Another problem may be enabling all routes broadcast (which *should* have
no function on ethernet).  When I did this I wound up seeing IP encapsulated
in SNA.  Very bizzare.

> Could my installation of lan requester be involved?  From the documentation
> I can't seem to tell whether lan requester and tcp/ip co-exist.  Seems
> to me they OUGHT to be able to...

They do cooexist, BUT....you have to pick which format the ethernet card will
transmit.  Either 802 or DIX.  Once you pick DIX, you may need to use some
magic parameters for the DOS DLR to get them to also use DIX.  Unfortunatly
I don't have a DLR reference handy, so I can't give you the magic parameters.

Personally, I've found OS/2 TCP/IP easy to configure.

-- Flame ahead, get asbestos --

Configuring communications manager has been a nightmare.  The error
messages are vague and the "verify" function let's a lot of errors
through, making the verify step next to useless.  I'm still not sure
how to configure OS/2 as a router between token ring and ethernet.
The only error message I get is a beep right before PM starts up and
clears the screen.

-- End flame

				Hope this helped

				Joe Herman