[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Clarkson Packet Driver for Cabletron cards?

charles@umbc4.umbc.edu (Charles) (04/26/91)

 I am testing a Cabletron DNI ethernet card for my pc, and want to be able
to use the BYU Novell IPX.COM generated to use the packet drivers. The
cabletron card has its own packet driver that I have found to be compatible
with NCSA Telnet. But the driver doesn't have a -n option like the Clarkson
drivers vers. 9.0, to allow the 8137/802.3 packet conversion to work with
dual Novell/TCP protocol stacks.
 Is there a Clarkson Packet Driver yet that will work with the Cabletron
cards? Specifically the Cabletron UTP cards.
 Thanks for any suggestions.

In article <1991Apr25.171204.15354@umbc3.umbc.edu> charles@umbc4.umbc.edu (Charles) writes:

    I am testing a Cabletron DNI ethernet card for my pc, and want to
   be able to use the BYU Novell IPX.COM generated to use the packet
   drivers. The cabletron card has its own packet driver that I have
   found to be compatible with NCSA Telnet. But the driver doesn't
   have a -n option like the Clarkson drivers vers. 9.0, to allow the
   8137/802.3 packet conversion to work with dual Novell/TCP protocol
   stacks.

Arrggghhhh!  I've told Cabletron that they're welcome to the little snipper
of code that implements -n.  I'll forward your posting to them, and tell
them that Yet Another person wants -n.
-russ
--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

trier@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) (04/26/91)

Cabletron has supported concurrent 802.3 Novell with Blue Book Ethernet for
some time.  I think it started in version 1.02.00 of their packet drivers.
Check the documentation included on the DNI software disk for information
about the option.

--
Stephen Trier                        Work: trier@ins.cwru.edu
Case Western Reserve University      Home: sct@seldon.clv.oh.us

bloom@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Terry Bloom) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr25.171204.15354@umbc3.umbc.edu> charles@umbc4.umbc.edu (Charles) writes:

> I am testing a Cabletron DNI ethernet card for my pc, and want to be able
>to use the BYU Novell IPX.COM generated to use the packet drivers. The
>cabletron card has its own packet driver that I have found to be compatible
>with NCSA Telnet. But the driver doesn't have a -n option like the Clarkson
>drivers vers. 9.0, to allow the 8137/802.3 packet conversion to work with
>dual Novell/TCP protocol stacks.
> Is there a Clarkson Packet Driver yet that will work with the Cabletron
>cards? Specifically the Cabletron UTP cards.
> Thanks for any suggestions.

  Actually, the packet driver included with the Cabletron card should
  be used with the IPX.COM generated from the NSHPD.OBJ (version 1.05EC)
  found in the distribution.  Since that IPX.COM is Econfigurable, it
  supports the 802.3 packets by default, and must be Econfiged to support
  Ethernet_II. We've got several of these cards in use on campus that are
  supporting 802.3 Netware IPX packets and TCP/IP as well.

Terry C. Bloom, MACC                     Voice: (608)262-3723
University of Wisconsin-Madison       Internet: bloom@macc.wisc.edu
1210 W. Dayton St.                      Bitnet: bloom@wiscmacc
Madison, WI 53706