[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Lan Manager Experiences

dinah@karazm.math.uh.edu (Dinah McNutt (bcm)) (04/24/91)

I am interested in hearing about experiences folks have had with Lan Manager
especially networking with IP hosts. What software have you used to provide
robust email connectivity, etc. What works and doesn't work, etc.

Many thanks,

Dinah
--
Dinah McNutt         		                         Senior Staff Scientist
Technology Transfer Associates	                                 Houston, Texas

bobw@norman.nwnet.net (Bob Williams) (04/25/91)

Please post responses to the net.

In article <1991Apr24.032311.17392@lavaca.uh.edu>,
dinah@karazm.math.uh.edu (Dinah McNutt (bcm)) writes:

|> I am interested in hearing about experiences folks have had with Lan Manager
|> especially networking with IP hosts. What software have you used to provide
|> robust email connectivity, etc. What works and doesn't work, etc.
|>
|> Many thanks,
|>
|> Dinah
|> --
|> Dinah McNutt         		                         Senior Staff Scientist
|> Technology Transfer Associates
Houston, Texas
|> internet: dinah@bcm.tmc.edu | dinah@sug.org | dinah@expert.com

Bob Williams
Networks and Distributed Computing     INTERNET: bobw@cac.washington.edu
University of Washington               BITNET:   BOBW@CAC
3737 Brooklyn Ave. NE                  BELL:     (206) 543-5128
Seattle, WA  98105                     FAX:      (206) 543-3909

krumseea@tardis.acs.ohio-state.edu (Art Krumsee) (04/27/91)

Dina McNutt writes:

>I am interested in hearing about experiences folks have had with Lan Manager
>especially networking with IP hosts. What software have you used to provide
>robust email connectivity, etc. What works and doesn't work, etc.

My experience with connecting LAN Manager products to IP hosts has been very positive.  Using the public domain DIS_PKT.GUP from FTP Software we can use all major PC telnet/ftp packages along with the LAN Manager workstation software.  This includes PC/TCP, NCSA Telnet and CUTCP.  Right now I am running the XVision x-windows server from within Microsoft Windows.  Windows is running from a LAN Manager server.  The XWindows package is riding on top of the PC/TCP kernel.  All this works very smoothly.  I use

it every day.

Art Krumsee
OHio State University
art.krumsee@osu.edu