[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] What do I need to get to do SLIP?

cjdb@ellis.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) (05/02/91)

I want to do SLIP between an AT-class PC and a SPARCstation running
SunOS 4.1. I imagine I would need a SLIP server from Sun, but I'm not
clear what I would need on the PC end. I've got FTP's PCTCP Plus, but
it's still not clear from looking at that what exactly things like
telnet and rlogin would be talking to on the PC, and how I would get
them.  (The "SLIP drivers" that FTP supplies seem to be the SLIP
servers I would need for the Sun, but the versions of the OS they
support are too old.)

Conceptually, it seems I need something that replaces the kernel, and
something that drives the serial port that the kernel would talk to.
What exactly is involved?

(In reality, I would be talking asynchronously to a terminal server,
and it would talk to the Sun, so I'm not sure I even need to bother
getting SLIP for the Sun -- the server I initially contact should take
care of that.)

Thanks.

--
Internet: chas@uchicago.edu

romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (05/02/91)

Er, I think you're making it too complicated. You don't want to
replace any kernels.

SLIP would only be involved in the link between the PC and whatever
its connection to the network is. If your Sparcstation is connected to
an ethernet, and that ethernet is connected to a terminal server, and
you want your PC to speak SLIP to the terminal server, you don't need
to do anything to the Sparcstation.

People don't normally talk about "SLIP servers". They talk about SLIP
drivers, because SLIP is a form of network media as far as TCP/IP is
concerned. So you run a TCP product with a SLIP driver on your PC, and
make sure the port you connect to on the terminal server is in SLIP
mode, and you should be moving packets. One caveat is IP address
assignment. Your PC must be assigned an IP address. Some terminal
servers tell you the IP address they want your PC to use when they
put the port in SLIP mode.

Then you can proceed to use TCP applications just as if you were on an
ethernet, only slower.
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	voice/fax: 415 594-1141

gordon@FTP.COM (Gordon Lee) (05/03/91)

    From: Charles Blair
    Subject: What do I need to get to do SLIP?

    I want to do SLIP between an AT-class PC and a SPARCstation running
    SunOS 4.1. I imagine I would need a SLIP server from Sun, but I'm not
    clear what I would need on the PC end. I've got FTP's PCTCP Plus, but
    it's still not clear from looking at that what exactly things like

PCTCP Plus comes on ~25 flavors, one for each type of network card we support.
The are numbered PC-201 to PC-227, (a couple numbers are skipped).
There are two ways to get a SLIP driver with a PCTCP kernel.  One is PC-205
which is a linked in SLIP driver, the other is PC-210 which includes a
generic SLIP kernel which can be used in conjunction with Clarkson's
SLIP packet driver.

== Gordon Lee                 FTP Software Inc
== voice: (617) 246-0900      26 Princess St
== fax:   (617) 245-7943      Wakefield, MA  01880