[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Print Redirection in PC/TCP and Windows 3.0

alu@cbnewsk.cb.att.com (Alan Lustiger) (05/01/91)

PC-TCP has the capability of doing print redirection to a network
printer by adding a memory-resident program. This TSR intercepts
all printer output and spools it; then, when either the application
is exited or the user types in CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT the contents
of the spool files get sent to the printer program of choice
(lpr or whatever.)

Under Windows 3.0, this seems flaky. On my 386/20 the application
that needs to be exited is Windows itself (not just Windows Write,
for example, although it looks like something happens when I exit
the specific Windows app.) If I go into a DOS window and then
hit CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT the job will usually print then, although
I've had errors then too.

On some 386SX machines here, it doesn't work under Windows at all
using a DOS window; Windows must be exited.

I'm running QEMM on all machines, 4DOS on my 386/20.

Any ideas of what to try? Any way to tell Windows not to trap
CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT so I don't have to go to a DOS Window? Any
way to do automatic printing without going through application
exiting or hotkeys? Any future enhancements coming? Any third-
party packages I should be using instead? Anybody got lots of
money to send me free?

Thanks.

		-Alan.
--
               		Alan Lustiger
    |_ | |             	AT&T Bell Laboratories ERC, Princeton, NJ

cws@FTP.COM (Cris Shuldiner) (05/01/91)

    Under Windows 3.0, this seems flaky. On my 386/20 the application
    that needs to be exited is Windows itself (not just Windows Write,
    for example, although it looks like something happens when I exit
    the specific Windows app.) If I go into a DOS window and then
    hit CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT the job will usually print then, although
    I've had errors then too.

Print on exit seems to have problems with the Windows Print Manager.
I would advise disabling it.  Since I know of know way of getting
windows to allow the use of CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT as a hotkey combination,
I do the following:

	1) Create a PIF file that : a] opens a DOS box, b] runs
	   DOPREDIR, and c] closes the DOS box.

	2) Attach that PIF file to an ICON.

	3) When you want something to print out, just click on the
           ICON.

In the 2.05 pl2 version of the Print Redirector, there will be a
print on timeout added that should take care of this problem in
windows.

Cris Shuldiner						Technical Support
cws@ftp.com						FTP Software, Inc.
Ph: (617) 246-2920					Fax: (617) 245-7943
"But time doesn't wait for me.  It just keeps on rolling."
					-Boston

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (05/03/91)

cws@FTP.COM (Cris Shuldiner) writes:
>Print on exit seems to have problems with the Windows Print Manager.
>I would advise disabling it.  Since I know of know way of getting

Too bad. Windows Print Manager works just fine with Novell Netware.