[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Sun's PC-NFS and packet drivers

fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (04/29/91)

Has anyone here had any success with using the PKTD.SYS device driver
with PC-NFS?

I was able to get PC-NFS working with a 3C501 Ethernet card to mount some
drives from a PC running SOSS with a 3C501.

But, when I replaced the DEVICE=c:\nfs\3c501.sys with DEVICE=c:\pktd.sys
and loaded the 3C501 packet driver, PC-NFS would gives me errors saying
that it couldn't connect to the file server.

Can anyone lend some suggestions?

--
Thank you and happy hunting!		Actually: Ethan M. Young
					Internet: fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (05/01/91)

Quoth fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (in <fkygs7h@rpi.edu>):
#
#I was able to get PC-NFS working with a 3C501 Ethernet card to mount some
#drives from a PC running SOSS with a 3C501.
#
#But, when I replaced the DEVICE=c:\nfs\3c501.sys with DEVICE=c:\pktd.sys
#and loaded the 3C501 packet driver, PC-NFS would gives me errors saying
#that it couldn't connect to the file server.

You're not trying to run SOSS and PC-NFS at the same time, are you?
Somebody pass this guy a copy of the FAQ list... the bit where it talks
about the impracticability of running two independent IP-based
stacks over the same interface...

-- Geoff Arnold, PC-NFS architect, Sun Microsystems. (geoff@East.Sun.COM)   --
--     Sun Microsystems PC Distributed Systems ...                          --
--            ... soon to be a part of SunTech (stay tuned for details)     --

scottp@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Scott Platenberg) (05/01/91)

In article <5849@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> geoff@east.sun.com (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
>Quoth fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (in <fkygs7h@rpi.edu>):
>#Has anyone here had any success with using the PKTD.SYS device driver
>#with PC-NFS?
>
>You're not trying to run SOSS and PC-NFS at the same time, are you?
>Somebody pass this guy a copy of the FAQ list... the bit where it talks
				     ^^^^^^^^^
  I've been reading this group for sometime now and haven't seen a faq list
posted.  Is there one and where can I get it?
-Scott
scottp@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com

romkey@ASYLUM.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (05/02/91)

The FAQ is still under construction; I should have had it done a while
back but have been extraordinarily busy.
		- john romkey			Epilogue Technology
USENET/UUCP/Internet:  romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	voice/fax: 415 594-1141

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (05/02/91)

I believe the original posting was cross-posted to comp.protocols.nfs,
which does have a FAQ. Geoff probably read it there, where he posts
regularly.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

geoff@hinode.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) (05/03/91)

Quoth fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (in <9105021524.AA00697@ftp.com>):
#
#I believe the original posting was cross-posted to comp.protocols.nfs,
#which does have a FAQ. Geoff probably read it there, where he posts
#regularly.

Actually, I post all over the place :-) No, there is no FAQ for
comp.protocols.nfs. However a little while ago John Romkey
had kinda volunteered (did he fall or was he pushed?) to compile
a FAQ for this group. That's what I was alluding to. John?

fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (05/04/91)

In article <5849@eastapps.East.Sun.COM> geoff@east.sun.com (Geoff Arnold @ Sun BOS - R.H. coast near the top) writes:
>Quoth fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (in <fkygs7h@rpi.edu>):
>#Has anyone here had any success with using the PKTD.SYS device driver
>#with PC-NFS?
>#
>#I was able to get PC-NFS working with a 3C501 Ethernet card to mount some
>#drives from a PC running SOSS with a 3C501.
>#
>#But, when I replaced the DEVICE=c:\nfs\3c501.sys with DEVICE=c:\pktd.sys
>#and loaded the 3C501 packet driver, PC-NFS would gives me errors saying
>#that it couldn't connect to the file server.
>
>You're not trying to run SOSS and PC-NFS at the same time, are you?
>Somebody pass this guy a copy of the FAQ list... the bit where it talks
>about the impracticability of running two independent IP-based
>stacks over the same interface...

I was runing SOSS and PC-NFS on different machines.

And, unfortunately, I read about the problem of multiple IP-based stacks over
the same interface in the latest BYTE (not bad reading if you're new to
packet drivers).

Also, from Youda He's article, it seems I'm not the only person having this
problem.  Am I missing any vital documentation concerning PKTD.SYS?  I found
it lying about on omnigate.clarkson.edu with only a pcnfs.readme file for
documentation.

I also experienced Youda's problem.  When I tried running any programs off
of the server, the client machine would crash and the server machine would
spew forth a "NFS_READ truncate 1024".

Any suggestions?  I would really like to get this setup working with packet
drivers as I'd like to port it to a token ring network.

Thanks.