[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] MD-DOS/IP

dan@lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) (04/30/91)

We are considering getting the University of Maryland Communications Package
(MD-DOS/IP) to provide TCP/IP network support for campus PCs.  Does anyone
have experience with this package and care to comment on it?  Will it work
with Windows?

Thanks,

Dan

--
dan@lclark.bitnet					SM 0 A9F4
tektronix!reed!lclark!dan				G 0

CHARLIE@UMVMA.BITNET (Charlie Turner) (05/01/91)

On Tue, 30 Apr 91 15:16:11 GMT Dan Revel said:
>We are considering getting the University of Maryland Communications Package
>(MD-DOS/IP) to provide TCP/IP network support for campus PCs.  Does anyone
>have experience with this package and care to comment on it?  Will it work
>with Windows?

Our campus (U of Mo Columbia) is site licensing this package from
WiscWare. The primary application is for PCs in the student labs to
telnet into the campus mainframes (CMS mostly).

In my experience with MD-DOS/IP it works well although we did find an
incompatibility. When telnet-ing into the host as a 3270 (TN3270)
MD-DOS/IP doesn't handle 3270 nulls the way a real 3270 terminal does.
This causes problems for a few applications. I reported this to
the MD-DOS/IP support group but haven't received any resolution yet.

Another of our campuses (UM Rolla) chose the Clarkson modified NCSA
package over MD-DOS/IP. Their specific reasons were that Clarkson
doesn't require CONFIG.SYS changes and Clarkson does support the BOOTP
protocol for dynamically assigning IP addresses to the PCs.

I haven't tried running MD-DOS/IP with Windows.

Kin.Fung@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Kin Fung) (05/07/91)

In Article 2965 (58 more) in comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc:
dan@lclark.UUCP (Dan Revel) said:

> Subject: MD-DOS/IP
> Date: 30 Apr 91 15:16:11 GMT
>
> We are considering getting the University of Maryland Communications Package
> (MD-DOS/IP) to provide TCP/IP network support for campus PCs.  Does anyone
> have experience with this package and care to comment on it?  Will it work
> with Windows?

The current MD-DOS/IP is not designed to run with Windows, though that is
rumored to be in the planning for future releases.  i am able, however, to
run any one tcp application inside Windows 3.0 without much crashing.
However, any time you have more than one tcp application running, you sure
invite crashing.  A key procedure is to start "kstart up" before you invoke
windows.  You do not want MD-DOS/IP software to expand their memory
requirements after Windows is started.  --kin fung, rtp NC
	Extended Bulletin Board Service, Research & Development
Office of Information Technology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
	      internet: bbs.oit.unc.edu or 128.109.157.30