[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Need help on WinQVT/Net

li@athena.cs.uga.edu (Jialin li) (05/06/91)

I am currently using WinQVT/Net v.1.6, and I can manage to
make it run under Standard mode. Can anyone explain why it
would't run under Enhanced mode? The computer I am using is
a CompuAdd 386/33, the Ethernet adapter is Western Digital
8003 E plus, the packet driver is Clarkson's WD8003E.COM.
I have tried the packet driver comes with the ethernet card,
it wouldn't work either. The error message I got is "local
hosts not responding". Everytime I attemp to run WinQVT/Net
under Enhanced Mode, it "hangs up" the ethernet card. My
NCSA/telnet or CUTCP/telnet will tell me the same error msg,
and a power up procedure has to performed to correct this.

A seperate question, is there a standard way of writing
packet driver interrupt vector? My command line
switch for WD8003E.COM is 0x60 0x2 0x280 0xD400, but if I put
"packet_vector=60 2 280 d400"  into the QVT_TCP.RC file,
the WinQVT.EXE will tell me "invalid keyword in configuration
file", 5 times, even though all tcp/ip sessions will run
without problems, so far. I have tried all combination of
above numbers, it seems none will get rid of those error
messages.

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

Jialin

rpj@echo.canberra.edu.au (Ross Johnson) (05/06/91)

In <1991May5.224833.26981@athena.cs.uga.edu> li@athena.cs.uga.edu (Jialin li) writes:

>A seperate question, is there a standard way of writing
>packet driver interrupt vector? My command line
>switch for WD8003E.COM is 0x60 0x2 0x280 0xD400, but if I put
>"packet_vector=60 2 280 d400"  into the QVT_TCP.RC file,
  ---------------------------

I've just started playing with WinQVT/Net but I believe all you need
is "packet driver=60".

I'm having trouble connecting to hosts outside of my subnet, what do
I do? I have "gateway=1" set for the foreign host.
--
+----------------------+---+
| Ross Johnson	       |   | E-Mail: rpj@ise.canberra.edu.au
| Info Sciences and Eng|___|
| University of Canberra   | UUCP  : uunet!munnari!ise.canberra.edu.au!rpj
| PO Box 1                 | JANET : rpj%au.edu.canberra.ise@EAN-RELAY
| Belconnen  ACT    2616   | BITNET: rpj%ise.canberra.edu.au@relay.cs.net
| AUSTRALIA                |
+--------------------------+

martinea@CORP.NSTN.NS.CA ("Michael P. Martineau") (05/06/91)

    I am currently using WinQVT/Net v.1.6, and I can manage to
    make it run under Standard mode. Can anyone explain why it
    would't run under Enhanced mode?

I have wnqvtnet 1.6 running in standard mode but I have encountered
problems when reading news.  There does not appear to be any
scroll bars for the area in which the news message is posted.
Any thoughts?

* Michael P. Martineau	Internet: martinea@hawk.nstn.ns.ca *
* General Manager	Phone:    (902) 468-NSTN           *
* NSTN Inc.		FAX:      (902) 468-3679           *

poirot@aio.jsc.nasa.gov (Daniel T. Poirot) (05/07/91)

In article <9105061206.AA17912@fox.nstn.ns.ca> martinea@hawk.nstn.ns.ca writes:

>I have wnqvtnet 1.6 running in standard mode but I have encountered
>problems when reading news.  There does not appear to be any
>scroll bars for the area in which the news message is posted.
>Any thoughts?
>
>* Michael P. Martineau	Internet: martinea@hawk.nstn.ns.ca *

How about this...

I have WNQVTNET 1.6 running on several computers.  On a machine with a
800x600x256 VGA screen, I get scroll bars.  On machines using
640x480x256 VGA or a 286 with an EGA (640x350), I see no scroll
bars...

--
Daniel Poirot           poirot@aio.jsc.nasa.gov
NASA JSC                "The mind is a terrible thing."

pwg@adl.dmt.csiro.au (Peter Goldsmith) (05/07/91)

>From: martinea@CORP.NSTN.NS.CA ("Michael P. Martineau")
>(SAME) Subject: Re: Need help on WinQVT/Net
>

>	    I have wnqvtnet 1.6 running in standard mode but I have encountered
>	    problems when reading news.  There does not appear to be any
>	    scroll bars for the area in which the news message is posted.
>	    Any thoughts?

I have found that wnqvtnet v1.6 news reader only allows scrolling of the news
area after I have switched to another window, then back.

		IBM - It may be slow but its hard to use.
| Peter W. Goldsmith,                          | Phone: (08) 2680164           |
| C.S.I.R.O. Divn. of Manufacturing Technology | FAX:   (08) 2686757           |
| P.O. Box 4,                                  | Telex:      AA88863           |
| Woodville   South Australia   5011           | Email: pwg@adl.dmt.csiro.au   |

martinea@CORP.NSTN.NS.CA ("Michael P. Martineau") (05/08/91)

    >From: martinea@CORP.NSTN.NS.CA ("Michael P. Martineau")
    >(SAME) Subject: Re: Need help on WinQVT/Net
    >

    >           I have wnqvtnet 1.6 running in standard mode but I have encountered
    >           problems when reading news.  There does not appear to be any
    >           scroll bars for the area in which the news message is posted.
    >           Any thoughts?

    I have found that wnqvtnet v1.6 news reader only allows scrolling of the news
    area after I have switched to another window, then back.

                    IBM - It may be slow but its hard to use.
    | Peter W. Goldsmith,                          | Phone: (08) 2680164           |
    | C.S.I.R.O. Divn. of Manufacturing Technology | FAX:   (08) 2686757           |
    | P.O. Box 4,                                  | Telex:      AA88863           |
    | Woodville   South Australia   5011           | Email: pwg@adl.dmt.csiro.au   |

I have also found that using Ctrl-ESC to call up the task switch window
and then cancelling it will allow me to scroll news text using the
arrow keys.  Very awkward at best.