[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] WinQVT/Net & NDIS & Packet driver

alfred@dutepp1.et.tudelft.nl (Alfred Kayser) (05/06/91)

I've installed last friday night the WinQVT/Net package in a PS/2 model 70
with a WD8003E card. Its works if I install only the packet driver.

Problem 1. The packets which are send to the other host are always a max.
566 bytes (which should be 1514). I've changed the fields in the
.rc file, but this doesn't helps. May I should read the doc first, but as
it is shareware I want to have it working completely before I pay for it.
(That's the key element of shareware IMHO (except for crippleware, which
is crippled until you pay for it.)

Problem 2. We've installed here the LanManager 2 which runs on the NDIS
stack. I've downloaded the NDIS_PKT (ndis to packet driver) interface,
which should make it possible to run software which uses the packet
driver spec. I installed it in config.sys and updated protocol.ini.
Assume that this is done correctly. But when I start WinQVT it reports
'packet driver error: 10 (AccessType)'. Error code 10 means 'TYPE_INUSE'
ie. the type requested is allready in use.
The PKT test functions like PKTSTAT.COM all return the message
'bad packet type specified'. The code tries to install a accesstype with
filter length of 8 bytes which isn't supported by NDIS_PKT.
The standard allows this, but the programs don't?

Hope somebody can help, Alfred

P.S. As soon as WinQVT is working correctly I will register. (pay for it).
--
-- Ir. Alfred Kayser. PACS, OS/2, TCP/IP. --- Email: AKayser@et.tudelft.nl --
-- CARDIT, Delft University of Technology ------------ Tel: (31)-15-786179 --

jbreeden@netcom.COM (John Breeden) (05/07/91)

In article <.673537186@dutepp1> alfred@dutepp1.et.tudelft.nl (Alfred Kayser) writes:
>I've installed last friday night the WinQVT/Net package in a PS/2 model 70
>with a WD8003E card. Its works if I install only the packet driver.
>
>Problem 2. We've installed here the LanManager 2 which runs on the NDIS
>stack. I've downloaded the NDIS_PKT (ndis to packet driver) interface,
>which should make it possible to run software which uses the packet
>driver spec. I installed it in config.sys and updated protocol.ini.
>Assume that this is done correctly. But when I start WinQVT it reports
>'packet driver error: 10 (AccessType)'. Error code 10 means 'TYPE_INUSE'
>ie. the type requested is allready in use.
>The PKT test functions like PKTSTAT.COM all return the message
>'bad packet type specified'. The code tries to install a accesstype with
>filter length of 8 bytes which isn't supported by NDIS_PKT.
>The standard allows this, but the programs don't?

Get the latest, greatest dis_pkt (version 1.06), it'll cure the problem
- the following should help:

From: jrd@cc.usu.edu
Subject: NDIS Packet Driver
Date: 2 Apr 91 03:23:51 GMT

	An updated version of FTP Software Inc's DIS_PKT.ASM program, which
provides a Packet Driver interface on top of the NDIS packet muxer, is
available for test purposes only as file DIS_PKT.TXT (an archive, zip'd
and then uuencoded) from machine netlab.usu.edu, in directories
	[anonymous.netwatch]	and 	[anonymous.novell]
This is a VMS VAX so please use both brackets and dots in when cd-ing.
	This version, 1.06, supports Novell IPX (BYU Pkt Drvr version),
FTP's TCP/IP, Netwatch, and the Clarkson distribution suite of Pkt Drvr
programs, along side NDIS stuff. Tested over a WD8003E board, for what
that's worth. The only side effect I've seen these past few days is a
strange pause to some terminal echos, lasting a couple of seconds.
	The program is far from being finished, hence the cavaet about
for testing purposes only.
	Joe D.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
    jbreeden@netcom.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

ibell@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (ibell rod) (05/08/91)

jbreeden@netcom.COM (John Breeden) writes:

>Get the latest, greatest dis_pkt (version 1.06), it'll cure the problem
>- the following should help:

I tried this.  It almost works! I think.

I have 3Com LAN Manager 1.1 running and have managed to get QVTnet1.6 running
with the protocol manager by using a second interface and seperate packet
driver. It works OK but extra expense etc.

I tried DIS_PKT.GUP 1.1.  NO GO I got the same TYPE_IN_USE etc messages.

With DIS_PKT.DOS 1.06 as John recommended, I now get the console window,
but any attempt to open a session results in:

	Unable to Open Session [-2]
	Unable to Open New Session
	Local host or gateway not Responding

Hardware is 3Com EtherlinkII

Any thoughts!!

Rod Ibell
Communications CSU
University College of Southern Queensland
Toowoomba
Australia.

ibell@zeus.usq.edu.au