[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NCSA - Telnet and FTP - BOOTP/rarp

mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.on.ca (Michael Richardson) (05/09/91)

In article <200882.28215371@uctvax.uct.ac.za> hartr@uctvax.uct.ac.za (Dave Roberts) writes:
>3) I have myip=BOOTP with a IPX and IPXPKT.  FTP will not work, error is
>   "Error initializing network".  When I use FTP with myip=MYIPNUMBER
>   it works.  Is there something I am missing to make FTP work with
>   myip=BOOTP?

  I experienced a similar thing with Telnet 2.2D.
  When using a packet driver (3c501.com at int 0x60) I couldn't an IP
address via RAPR. (I don't recall if I got the same error though -- I
believe that it may have just timed out)
  When switching to the internal 3c501 driver, I had no problem at
all (with both Telnet and ftp). Could this be a limitation of the
packet driver??

--
   :!mcr!:            |  The postmaster never | So much mail,
   Michael Richardson |    resolves twice.    |  so little time.

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) (05/10/91)

mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.on.ca (Michael Richardson) writes:

>In article <200882.28215371@uctvax.uct.ac.za> hartr@uctvax.uct.ac.za (Dave Roberts) writes:
>>3) I have myip=BOOTP with a IPX and IPXPKT.  FTP will not work, error is
>>   "Error initializing network".  When I use FTP with myip=MYIPNUMBER
>>   it works.  Is there something I am missing to make FTP work with
>>   myip=BOOTP?

>  I experienced a similar thing with Telnet 2.2D.
>  When using a packet driver (3c501.com at int 0x60) I couldn't an IP
>address via RAPR. (I don't recall if I got the same error though -- I
>believe that it may have just timed out)
>  When switching to the internal 3c501 driver, I had no problem at
>all (with both Telnet and ftp). Could this be a limitation of the
>packet driver??

  I have used BOOTP sucesfully with packet drivers ( 3c503, 3c523 and ibmtoken)

 May be the problem is with your card, did you check if it work with an
  IPaddress (myip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) ???

 Bye

Jose A. Vela A.

In article <1991May8.220407.17633@Sandelman.OCUnix.on.ca> mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.on.ca (Michael Richardson) writes:

     When using a packet driver (3c501.com at int 0x60) I couldn't an IP
   address via RARP. (I don't recall if I got the same error though -- I
   believe that it may have just timed out)
     When switching to the internal 3c501 driver, I had no problem at
   all (with both Telnet and ftp). Could this be a limitation of the
   packet driver??

Yes, early 3c501 packet drivers couldn't do RARP or BOOTP.  I don't remember
when I fixed it, you'll have to look in CHANGES.DOC of the current
packet driver release.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson