[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Re-routing print output

iadt2jf@prism.gatech.EDU (John A. Freeman) (05/09/91)

Here's a good question that I haven't seen addressed since I've been reading
this newsgroup. Say I've got PC/TCP up and running (which I do) and I have
access to a remote print server. Is there a utility program that will inter-
cept output from a word processor (or any other application) that is destined
for an LPTn: port and lpr that output over the ethernet? In other words, I want
to send output to a remote printer from inside a DOS application.
--
John A. Freeman                            iadt2jf@prism.gatech.edu
Information Systems and Applications

ken@racerx.UUCP (Ken Hardy) (05/10/91)

In article <28476@hydra.gatech.EDU>, iadt2jf@prism.gatech.EDU (John A. Freeman) writes:
> access to a remote print server. Is there a utility program that will inter-
> cept output from a word processor (or any other application) that is destined
> for an LPTn: port and lpr that output over the ethernet? In other words, I want

Just today I saw this in a "PRODUCT UPDATE April, 1991" sheet from FTP
Software:

Product		Current 	New
Name		Version		Features

PC/TCP for DOS	 2.05	    Print redirection software sends print jobs
			    to network printers from within PC
Release October 1990	    applications such as spreadsheets, word
			    processors

--

Ken Hardy                         uunet!racerx!ken
Bridge Information Systems        racerx!ken@uunet.uu.net

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (05/13/91)

If you've got PC/TCP 2.05 (the latest version) that ability is built
in.  It's called print redirection. Sun's PC-NFS has a slightly
different print redirector - it requires services of the services of a
pcnfsd.  Ours can be configured to use any available printing program,
but I expect it is most commonly set up for lpr.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880