[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] client/server database PC<->Unix via packetdrivers?

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (04/30/91)

do any of the mainstream databases (Oracle, Informix, etc...) have a packet
driver version of their PC based UI's?

i think it's wonderful that they have PC<->mini interaction, but can this be
achieved in a non-proprietary environment?

i would like to run an Oracle or Informix PC front end and have it actually
fetch the data from a remote Unix system.

it would be nice if the frontend used the packet driver like NCSA telnet
or CUTCP telnet.

the frontend doesn't actually need to be really smart.

anyone know of anything that will accomplish this task?

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Educational Systems Manager - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, CANADA  ]

iadt2jf@prism.gatech.EDU (John A. Freeman) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr29.203452.6081@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:
>do any of the mainstream databases (Oracle, Informix, etc...) have a packet
>driver version of their PC based UI's?
>
>i think it's wonderful that they have PC<->mini interaction, but can this be
>achieved in a non-proprietary environment?
>
>i would like to run an Oracle or Informix PC front end and have it actually
>fetch the data from a remote Unix system.

Just two days ago I succeeded in using SQL*Forms (Oracle) running on my
PS/2 to access an Oracle database running on an RS 6000 (IBM's AIX box).
So yes, what you ask for is possible. I'm using a 3Com 3c523 card, the
Clarkson TCP driver for that card, and software from FTP, Inc. What's more,
for those who are familiar with Oracle, the version 5.1c tools on my PC
were accessing a version 6 database.
Oh, yea, one more thing - Oracle's SQL*Net product (for tcp/ip) is also re-
quired.

This is some definitely serious sh__!
--
John A. Freeman                            iadt2jf@prism.gatech.edu
Information Systems and Applications

cws@FTP.COM (Cris Shuldiner) (05/11/91)

    do any of the mainstream databases (Oracle, Informix, etc...)
    have a packet driver version of their PC based UI's?

    i think it's wonderful that they have PC<->mini interaction, but
    can this be achieved in a non-proprietary environment?

    i would like to run an Oracle or Informix PC front end and have
    it actually fetch the data from a remote Unix system.

    it would be nice if the frontend used the packet driver like NCSA
    telnet or CUTCP telnet.

Oracle, Informix, and a number of other Database companies have
ported their PC Front Ends to a variety of TCP/IP protocol stacks.  I
am not familiar with who Informix will work with (Other than our
PC/TCP product), but I do know that Oracle's front end has been
ported to the following stacks:

	3+Open TCP, *Excelan's LanWorkPlace TCP/IP (rel 3.3, rev B or
	later), PC/TCP (ver 2.03 or later), and Ungermann-Bass TCP-PC
	(rel 16).

* I don't know if this will work with the Novell version of this.

Of the above listed stacks, PC/TCP is the only one that I know for
sure has a packet driver interface.  If you have any further
questions on this subject that the database companies can't answer,
please feel free to write me.

Cris Shuldiner						Technical Support
cws@ftp.com						FTP Software, Inc.
Ph: (617) 246-2920					Fax: (617) 245-7943
"But time doesn't wait for me.  It just keeps on rolling."
					-Boston

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (05/13/91)

    do any of the mainstream databases (Oracle, Informix, etc...) have a
    packet driver version of their PC based UI's?

Several of them have UIs that use one of the commercial TSR-based TCP/IP
packages to provide transport services; most of these are available in
versions that use the Packet Driver instead of built-in board-specific
drivers.  It is unlikely that the database would talk directly to the
Packet Driver since then they'd have to include the whole TCP/IP stack in
their product (a non-trivial development effort).  This of course has the
problem that the Packet Drivers, like NDIS or ODI, only assume one
implementation of a given protocol (e.g. TCP/IP or XNS) will be active at
a time, so you couldn't use the database UI at the same time as NCSA or
one of the other free packages.

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) (05/14/91)

I think I am correct in saying that Oracle Informix and Ingres
Client/Server products all run over PC-NFS (from SUN) and FTP Softwares
PC/TCP. Both of these products are capable of running over
a packet driver.