[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Bootp server

billy@VENERA.ISI.EDU (Billy Brackenridge) (03/16/89)

Has anyone written a BootP server for the PC/IP package. I mean a BootP that
runs on a PC.

Also has anybody written ROMABLE code for a BootP client? Most Ethernet
cards have a socket for ROM. Are there any development kits for any
Ethernet cards to aid in developing boot ROM?

Has anyone modified Microsoft C startup code so one can write ROMABLE
C code that makes no DOS calls.

I am not limiting myself to PD packages. If any of the commercial vendors
support this stuff I'd like to hear.

bkc@OMNIGATE.CLARKSON.EDU (Brad Clements) (03/16/89)

I have written Bootp Client code that is rom'd into an 8K eprom for use
with a Micom-Interlan NI5210. It is based in a distribution for Sun
systems that was posted by someone at Stanford. (originally it required
16K eproms, quite a bit of paring down was done. Currently 8189 bytes
are used.)

On startup, the bootp rom sends a bootp request packet. A bootp server
responds with ip address, server address, boot file name, etc. The eprom
then uses tftp to download the boot file (which is a rom disk image)
into the PC's ram.

The PC is then boot'd from the rom disk image. I can put whatever I want
onto the rom disk image (MSDOS + pc-nfs  etc) currently our system
loads MIT's RVD (Remote Virtual Disk == Poor man's Ndisk)

I have a utility that extracts the bootp reply information from
memory and loads it into the netcust.sys driver for later use
by RVD and PC/IP programs. (We load a packet driver for the NI5210,
and a packet multiplexor which traps RVD packets. This way we
can run RVD and NCSA Telnet simultanously).

Another utility releases the bootp rom disk code enabling the
real floppy drive A: to be used as normal.

The bootp rom allows a user to specify a different server address and/or
boot file as well as bypassing the bootp process and booting from
the real floppy disk. It also does a TDR of the ethernet on initialization
and can inform the user if the ethernet cable is open, shorted or has
transceiver problems (more or less).

Boot files up to 325K (or there abouts) can be downloaded into a
512K machine. The boot rom moves the first 9 sectors of the rom disk
to the high end of memory so the FAT and directories don't get
trashed as programs are loaded.

Works great. Its written in Turbo C 2.0. The only bug I've seen
is that a user can not delete files from the rom disk image
without crashing the system. But the copy command does work...

We are using a Bootp server developed by Mr. Walter Wimer III
of Carnegie Mellon University. The server currently runs on
a 4.3BSD MVax II and several Sun systems and works very nicely.

jbvb@ftp.COM (James Van Bokkelen) (03/18/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.605991738.billy@venera.isi.edu>, billy@VENERA.ISI.EDU (Billy Brackenridge) writes:
> Has anyone written a BootP server for the PC/IP package. I mean a BootP that
> runs on a PC.

Provided that the CMU public-domain Unix bootp server doesn't make extensive
use of Unix functions that aren't in Microsoft C, it should port to one of
the high-quality DOS socket (PC/TCP or PC/NFS) emulations fairly simply.
Typically, a DOS socket library doesn't support any file operations on
a socket except read(), write() and close().  You can't use dup(), putc(),
fgets() or other high-level functions on a socket, and child processes
don't inherit sockets.  Neither does the DOS library include dbm(), if
that is how CMU stores the data.

--
James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

ddp+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Drew Daniel Perkins) (03/20/89)

The CMU Unix bootp server does make use of the UNIX ARP related ioctls.  I.e. it
sometimes has to add an ARP entry to the cache in order to send a reply.  I
don't think this is supported in PC/TCP or PC/NFS.  It would also be hard to get
around...

Drew

dab@ftp.COM (Dave Bridgham) (03/23/89)

I once did a BOOTP server that avoided stuffing the ARP cache by just
broadcasting the reply.  It's a little anti-social but I didn't have
a mechanism for getting to the ARP cache at the time.

						David Bridgham

fks@VAX.FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (05/14/91)

We have the CMU bootp server available for anonymous ftp from
vax.ftp.com. It's in the file pub/pc802/bootpd.tar

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880