[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] 400KB ka9q net.exe v.s. 182KB

dpz@dimacs.rutgers.edu (David Paul Zimmerman) (05/14/91)

I had dreamt it would be simple... just get the sources, run them through
Turbo C, and voila -- my very own KA9Q net.exe.  And so it was... but twice
the size of the one Phil distributes!!  I've diddled some obvious compilation
and linking flags, to no avail.  Anyone have any ideas?  If this were Unix,
I'd think of doing a "strip net.exe", but there doesn't seem to be an analogy.

						David
--
David Paul Zimmerman				   dpz@dimacs.rutgers.edu
Systems Programmer			   rutgers!dimacs.rutgers.edu!dpz

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (05/14/91)

dpz@dimacs.rutgers.edu (David Paul Zimmerman) writes:
>I had dreamt it would be simple... just get the sources, run them through
>Turbo C, and voila -- my very own KA9Q net.exe.  And so it was... but twice
>the size of the one Phil distributes!!  I've diddled some obvious compilation
>and linking flags, to no avail.  Anyone have any ideas?  If this were Unix,
>I'd think of doing a "strip net.exe", but there doesn't seem to be an analogy.

No analogy, just a compression program for MS-DOS executables.  It
saves disk space but when the program is running it takes just as much
space in memory as before.

WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [192.88.110.20]

Directory PD1:<MSDOS.FILUTL>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
PKLTE105.EXE  B   50330  910424  PKLITE v1.05, compress EXE/COM files and run

Keith
- - -
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives  -  [192.88.110.20]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil    or    w8sdz@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Uucp: uunet!umich!vela!w8sdz                         BITNET: w8sdz@OAKLAND

a0045@rrz.uni-koeln.de (Jochen Roderburg) (05/14/91)

Not a great mystery, the distribution version of NET.EXE is compressed
with one of the executable file compressors (PKLITE or such).
If you unpack it again, it amounts to the same size than yours.

J. Roderburg, U of Cologne, Germany

kurt@photon.tamu.EDU (Kurt Freiberger) (05/15/91)

In article <May.13.22.55.22.1991.7896@dimacs.rutgers.edu>, dpz@dimacs.rutgers.edu (David Paul Zimmerman) writes:
|> I had dreamt it would be simple... just get the sources, run them through
|> Turbo C, and voila -- my very own KA9Q net.exe.  And so it was... but twice
|> the size of the one Phil distributes!!  I've diddled some obvious compilation
|> and linking flags, to no avail.  Anyone have any ideas?  If this were Unix,
|> I'd think of doing a "strip net.exe", but there doesn't seem to be an analogy.
|>
|> 						David
|> --
|> David Paul Zimmerman				   dpz@dimacs.rutgers.edu
|> Systems Programmer			   rutgers!dimacs.rutgers.edu!dpz
|> Center for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science (DIMACS)

Phil uses PKLITE which compresses the program and attaches a header that
decompresses it into memory at runtime.
kurt
--
Kurt Freiberger, wb5bbw	  kurt@cs.tamu.edu   409/847-8706
Dept. of Computer Science, Texas A&M University  DoD #264

acm@RELAY.PROTEON.COM (05/15/91)

David,
     I had dreamt it would be simple... just get the sources, run them
     through Turbo C, and voila -- my very own KA9Q net.exe.  And so
     it was... but twice the size of the one Phil distributes!!  I've
     diddled some obvious compilation and linking flags, to no avail.
     Anyone have any ideas?  If this were Unix, I'd think of doing a
     "strip net.exe", but there doesn't seem to be an analogy.

All you have to do is selcet /dsn for debug, source, none.  This will
make a much smaller object file to be linked.  If source is on it will
have lots of stuff that is useful for debugging but nothing else.

        -Alan Marshall, Proteon
            CCMAIL: acm at proteonwebo   tel: (508)898-2120
            INTERNET: acm@Proteon.com    MHS: acm @ ProteonW

dpz@dimacs.rutgers.edu (David Paul Zimmerman) (05/15/91)

Well THAT explains it.  Much thanks to Scott Laird, Rich Warwick, Jochen
Roderburg, Jim Mankin, Keith Petersen, and Kurt Freiberger for setting me
straight on the executable compression.  My net.exe does indeed take up less
than half the disk space now, though memory usage is still the same, as
expected.

Rich Warwick -- I'll try your #undef ideas... I would indeed like to get some
memory back.

Alan Marshall -- I appreciate your thoughts, but I'm not using the Turbo menu
interface, so your hints don't seem to apply....

		David