[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] broadband adapters

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (05/14/91)

IBM used to sell a broadband "PCNet" card. You might have to experiment
to find out what you could run over it, though. I heard, once, that
someone had managed to run PC/TCP over it, with some IBM driver, but
we've never tried it. Maybe IBM can tell you more.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

MARC@unb.CA (05/14/91)

On  Tue, 14 May 91 01:29:56 ADT  Frances Selkirk <fks@ftp.com> writes:

> IBM used to sell a broadband "PCNet" card. You might have to
> experiment to find out what you could run over it, though. I heard,
> once, that someone had managed to run PC/TCP over it, with some IBM
> driver, but we've never tried it. Maybe IBM can tell you more.

IBM still sells PCNet.  PC/TCP for Token-Ring runs just fine over
it.  It also works with most packages which support packet drivers like
CUTCP, KA9Q, NCSA.  Also, MD-DOS/IP from University of Maryland supports
PCNet cards.

marc
------

Marc Levesque
Computing Services
University of New Brunswick
Fredericton, NB  Canada
marc@unb.ca

lanmaint@nssdcb.gsfc.nasa.gov (Dave Yoest) (05/14/91)

In article <ID9799.D910514.T084158.MARC@unb.ca>, MARC@unb.CA writes...
>On  Tue, 14 May 91 01:29:56 ADT  Frances Selkirk <fks@ftp.com> writes:
>

>> IBM used to sell a broadband "PCNet" card. You might have to
>> experiment to find out what you could run over it, though. I heard,
>> once, that someone had managed to run PC/TCP over it, with some IBM
>> driver, but we've never tried it. Maybe IBM can tell you more.
>>
>IBM still sells PCNet.  PC/TCP for Token-Ring runs just fine over
>it.  It also works with most packages which support packet drivers like
>CUTCP, KA9Q, NCSA.  Also, MD-DOS/IP from University of Maryland supports
>PCNet cards.
>
>marc
>------

NOTE!!!!!!

 Broadband is NOT ETHERNET.

 Ethernet is a standard. Broadband is a physical transport.

 The original requester was somewhat vague in his first request,
 but later clarified that he needs a MAP compatabile product.

 SO THE IBM CARD WILL NOT WORK!!!!.

 On broadband there are many details that must be correct. The
 modulation scheme (AM,FM,QPSK,BPSK) must be the same, the
 "scrambling algorithim" (QPSK) must be the same. The TX/RX
 frequencies must be the same, the bandwidth of the service
 channel must be the same (6,12 or 18 MHZ). If you are implementing
 a new system then you have more leeway, but on an existing system
 everything must match!

 You can't expect two different broadband data transport channels
 to be compatible any more then you would expect your Television
 to be compatible with your celluar phone. Both use RF, but that's
 where the similarities end.

 The original requestor stated that the existing system was MAP,
 so he needs to look ONLY at MAP compliant products. (MAP is
 IEEE 802.4)

 If he/she is willing to look at a new "data channel" I would suggest
 802.3 10BROAD36, but even then its at $500/port IF you need 8 ports
 otherwise it's more like 2K/port. Also with 10BROAD36 you can only
 go 3600 meters "round trip" (to the headend and back)

 Fairchild and Chipcom both sell 10BROAD36 equipment and I know
 Chipcom also sells MAP stuff, Fairchild may also sell MAP now.

Dave Yoest
LAN Section Supervisor (Mr. Broadband)
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
Greenbelt, Md.
20771

DYOEST@128.183.43.16
DYOEST@zaphod.gsfc.nasa.gov

turner@udecc.engr.udayton.edu (Staff- Bob S Turner) (05/15/91)

In article <5320@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> lanmaint@nssdcb.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>>On  Tue, 14 May 91 01:29:56 ADT  Frances Selkirk <fks@ftp.com> writes:
>>
>>IBM still sells PCNet.  PC/TCP for Token-Ring runs just fine over
>>it.  It also works with most packages which support packet drivers like
>>CUTCP, KA9Q, NCSA.  Also, MD-DOS/IP from University of Maryland supports
>>PCNet cards.
>>
>>marc
>>------
>>

>NOTE!!!!!!
>
> Broadband is NOT ETHERNET.

Correspondingly Broadband is not MAP.

> Ethernet is a standard. Broadband is a physical transport.
>
> The original requester was somewhat vague in his first request,
> but later clarified that he needs a MAP compatabile product.
Not to mention what rev of MAP. It could be MAP 2.1 or 3.0 or what ever?

> SO THE IBM CARD WILL NOT WORK!!!!.

The other question is what manufacture is the headend bridge?
Is it Hughes or someone elses like Chipcoms. Because if I remember correctly
the Chipcom needs two bridges. Its really desinged to bridge seperate
ethernets via a MAP channel. If so, you probably have to have a bridge.

What is the application? Could you use point to point RS232 modems
to get back to the head-end?

Oh yes, I manage a broadband network.
Bob Turner                    Network Manager, School of Engineering
513-229-3171                           turner@udecc.engr.udayton.edu
Univ. of Dayton, Engineering Computing Center-KL211, Dayton OH 45469

DKAZEM@NAS.BITNET (Don Kazem) (05/15/91)

IBM used to sell a broadband "PCNet" card. You might have to experiment
to find out what you could run over it, though. I heard, once, that
someone had managed to run PC/TCP over it, with some IBM driver, but
we've never tried it. Maybe IBM can tell you more.

Frances Kirk Selkirk?? info@ftp.com?           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.?? 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

Our oldest network still uses those hideous cards.  Sytek
which is now called Hughes manufactured them for IBM.
Hughes has a TCP/IP product called PROLINC that runs on
some of those cards but not on all versions. It only supports
a model called IBM PC NET II (it has more memory than
the regular PC NET cards). PC NET II is actually shorter than
the regular cards.

Since the LAN operating system here is Novell, I have been
able to run the WIN/TCP (from Wollongong) on those cards
and it works fine. Although, I must say that since this
approach uses the IPX transport layer, the IP packets are
encapsulated in IPX packets and I have had to dedicate a
machine that runs another program from Wollongong that
unwraps the IPX packets and extracts the IP ones out before
they are sent to the IP router.

By the way, IBM directs all inquiries about PC NET cards to
Hughes.

I am very interested in any other drivers that would allow
running PC/TCP on PC NET cards.

Hope this helps.

DKAZEM@NAS
F.D.Kazem-Zadeh
National Academy of Sciences
Washington DC

jbreeden@netcom.COM (John Breeden) (05/15/91)

In article <9105141837.aa00823@louie.udel.edu> DKAZEM@NAS.BITNET (Don Kazem) writes:

>Our oldest network still uses those hideous cards.  Sytek
>which is now called Hughes manufactured them for IBM.
>Hughes has a TCP/IP product called PROLINC that runs on
>some of those cards but not on all versions. It only supports
>a model called IBM PC NET II (it has more memory than
>the regular PC NET cards). PC NET II is actually shorter than
>the regular cards.

And the PC NET II card (Sytek.HLS 6110) works with Hughes' NDIS MAC
driver for their 6120/30. That'll allow IPX via dis_pkt.dos (and all
the other 'stuff that'll run on a packet driver) along with Lan Man,
Vines PC/TCP etc.

BTW: Dis_pkt.dos is FTP's Packet driver to NDIS driver adapter.
--
 John Robert Breeden,
    jbreeden@netcom.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

nestor@hls.com ("Nestor A. Fesas") (05/17/91)

>> IBM used to sell a broadband "PCNet" card. You might have to experiment
>> to find out what you could run over it, though. I heard, once, that
>> someone had managed to run PC/TCP over it, with some IBM driver, but
>> we've never tried it. Maybe IBM can tell you more.

> Our oldest network still uses those hideous cards.

Thanks. Its nice to know that our first attempt at PC networking is still
in use after all of these years.

> Sytek which is now called Hughes manufactured them for IBM.

Actually, Hughes LAN Systems designed and manufactured the card as
well as portions of its corresponding adapter ROM interface: NetBIOS.
I'm not really sure to what extent IBM was technically involved in the
effort.  This happened a long time ago, and few of the folks
originally involved in that effort are still around.

> Hughes has a TCP/IP product called PROLINC that runs on
> some of those cards but not on all versions.  It only supports
> a model called IBM PC NET II (it has more memory than
> the regular PC NET cards). PC NET II is actually shorter than
> the regular cards.

The original IBM PC Network adapter card (i.e. the Sytek 6110) is in
fact fully supported by ProLINC v1.0. ProLINC v2.0 no longer supports
the 6110, but it fully supports subsequent versions of the card,
specifically the Sytek 6120 and its latest incarnation the HLS 6130.
Additionally, The new IBM adapters - PCN II for the PC and PCN II/A
for the PS/2 - are also fully supported by ProLINC.

> Since the LAN operating system here is Novell, I have been
> able to run the WIN/TCP (from Wollongong) on those cards
> and it works fine. Although, I must say that since this
> approach uses the IPX transport layer, the IP packets are
> encapsulated in IPX packets and I have had to dedicate a
> machine that runs another program from Wollongong that
> unwraps the IPX packets and extracts the IP ones out before
> they are sent to the IP router.

ProLINC uses a different approach to providing concurrent Novell and TCP
connections. Along with the TCP, NFS, and LAT protocols provided in the
package, we also include an IPX stack with code that interfaces it
directly to our Multiple Protocol Driver (MPD). As such, Netware and TCP
(and LAT, and Banyan and LAN Man for that matter) can concurrently share the
MPD interface without encapsulations.

> By the way, IBM directs all inquiries about PC NET cards to
> Hughes.
>

> I am very interested in any other drivers that would allow
> running PC/TCP on PC NET cards.

The original PC Net cards are still supported by the IBM LAN Support
Program.  Conceptually, LAN Support could be used to run the ASI
versions of both the PC/TCP stack and the Novell IPX. However, I
can't make a specific recommendation in this regard since I haven't
tested this combination myself.

Nestor A. Fesas, Jr.					Hughes LAN Systems
voice: (415) 966-7473					1225 Charleston Road
fax:   (415) 960-3738					Mountain View, CA 94043
inet:  nestor@hls.com					Mailstop 7