[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Printing from PC to a NeXT

pyrros@cis.udel.edu (Christos Pyrros) (05/23/91)

Thanks again for everyone's help with getting the 3c501 (sorry, it IS an
ISA bus, I got confused...) working.

Now, for the tough one:  I'd like to print from a lowly 8088 to the
NeXT Laser Printer hanging off my NeXT.  It's a PostScript printer.

Can I print transparently from popular software (ie WordPerfect) by
assigning the net printer to COM2 or something?

The NeXT lets me make the printer public to the net and assign it a name,
so I'd assume it's compatible.

Chris

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (05/23/91)

In article <54473@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, pyrros@cis.udel.edu (Christos Pyrros) writes:
> Thanks again for everyone's help with getting the 3c501 (sorry, it IS an
> ISA bus, I got confused...) working.
>
> Now, for the tough one:  I'd like to print from a lowly 8088 to the
> NeXT Laser Printer hanging off my NeXT.  It's a PostScript printer.
>
> Can I print transparently from popular software (ie WordPerfect) by
> assigning the net printer to COM2 or something?
>
> The NeXT lets me make the printer public to the net and assign it a name,
> so I'd assume it's compatible.
	Well, yes, as long as your ip software on the PC supports printer
redirection via the LPR/LPD daemon.  You will, however, run into a few
problems because I don't think WP 5.1 has a "NeXT" postscript printer
definition.  You may find some things that don't print (e.g. graphical
characters created inside wp 5.1, like the stuff produced by the equation
editor.

	At least that has been my experience with os/2 wp5.0 and a NeXT
printer....

--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX