[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] TCP-IP with ArcNet

kendaly@netcom.COM (Kendal Yee) (05/08/91)

I am looking for a software that will provide tcp-ip protocol with the
arcnet card.  If anyboday have any information, please send me a mail.
my mail address is kendaly@netcom.COM.  Thanks.

ironduke@fuhainf2.fernuni-hagen.de (05/18/91)

Hi NetWorker !

Does anybody hear about a NCSA-packet, that handles ArcNet-Cards ?
I got the packet-driver, and it seems to run, but telbin & ftpbin
tell me, that they cannot initialize the hardware level network
driver.

The NSCA-programs recognize the ARCNET.COM - packet-driver, and
the driver recognizes my ArcNet-card.

Do telbin & ftpbin access the hardware, and, if yes, what is the
packet-driver for ?????

Last question: is there any other GOOD and CHEAP tcp-ip - packet
that can use the ArcNet-card ?

thanks in advance
   roger

|  Roger Schwentker                 UUCP/EUNET  : ironduke@fernuni-hagen.de   |
|  Fernuniversttaet Hagen           private     : roger@larry.ruhr.de         |
|  Prakt. Informatik III            EARN/BITNET : ironduke@dhafeu51.bitnet    |
|  D - 5800 Hagen                   phone       : +49 2331 804 2102           |
|  Reserved for further extensions                                            |
|    (IBM, every manual)                                                      |

In article <6511@fuhainf.fernuni-hagen.de> ironduke@fuhainf2.fernuni-hagen.de writes:

   Last question: is there any other GOOD and CHEAP tcp-ip - packet
   that can use the ArcNet-card ?

The only TCP/IP package that can run directly over ARCNET is Phil
Karn's.  It can be FTPed from thumper.bellcore.com:pub/ka9q/nos/*.
It is free only for educational institutions and radio amateurs.

--
--russ <nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
Clear cutting is criminal, spiking trees is criminal, and using hyperbole of

dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se (Gunnar Dahlstrom) (05/19/91)

In article <6511@fuhainf.fernuni-hagen.de> ironduke@fuhainf2.fernuni-hagen.de writes:

>Hi NetWorker !
>
>Does anybody hear about a NCSA-packet, that handles ArcNet-Cards ?
>I got the packet-driver, and it seems to run, but telbin & ftpbin
>tell me, that they cannot initialize the hardware level network
>driver.
>
>The NSCA-programs recognize the ARCNET.COM - packet-driver, and
>the driver recognizes my ArcNet-card.
>
>Do telbin & ftpbin access the hardware, and, if yes, what is the
>packet-driver for ?????
>
>Last question: is there any other GOOD and CHEAP tcp-ip - packet
>that can use the ArcNet-card ?

Take a look at funic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100).
There is a directory called  /pub/msdos/arcnet-tcpip maybe you can find some
information  there!

// Gunnar

				Gunnar Dahlstrom
			Chalmers University of Technology
			    Div. Building Technology
			   412 96 Gothenburg,  Sweden
			E-Mail:  dahlstr@hus.chalmers.se

nerd@percival.rain.com (Michael Galassi) (05/19/91)

nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:

>In article <6511@fuhainf.fernuni-hagen.de> ironduke@fuhainf2.fernuni-hagen.de writes:

>   Last question: is there any other GOOD and CHEAP tcp-ip - packet
>   that can use the ArcNet-card ?

>The only TCP/IP package that can run directly over ARCNET is Phil
>Karn's.  It can be FTPed from thumper.bellcore.com:pub/ka9q/nos/*.
>It is free only for educational institutions and radio amateurs.

Not so, you can use the packet-drivers that ka9q/ftp/cutcp use
with pc-route as well.  Of course you have to be willing to
accept rip updates on point-to-point (slip) links being addressed
to the broadcast address <ugh>.
-m
--
Michael Galassi				| nerd@percival.rain.com
MS-DOS:  The ultimate PC virus.		| ...!tektronix!percy!nerd

tom@calvin.doc.ca (Tom Erskine) (05/23/91)

The version of TCP/IP software that FTP makes for Banyan Vines will
work over any of the various types of cards than Vines supports, which
includes Arcnet, Token-Ring, Ethernet
--
Thomas E. Erskine  (tom@calvin.doc.ca)  phone (613) 998-2836