[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] 3com 3C501 Jumper Settings Needed, Please!

pyrros@cis.udel.edu (Christos Pyrros) (05/19/91)

I have a 3com 3C501 Ethernet card (MCA bus) but I have misplaced the manual.
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please email me the jumper
setting tables for the i/o address and memory address.

Thanks,

Chris

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) (05/19/91)

pyrros@cis.udel.edu (Christos Pyrros) writes:

>I have a 3com 3C501 Ethernet card (MCA bus) but I have misplaced the manual.
>I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please email me the jumper
>setting tables for the i/o address and memory address.

>Thanks,

>Chris

 Are you sure that it is a 3c501 ???

 I think that 3c523 is the Ethernet Card for MicroChannel
 And that 3c501 is for Normal Bus... isn't it ??

Bye

Jose A. Vela A.
josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx

pyrros@cis.udel.edu (Christos Pyrros) (05/19/91)

>>I have a 3com 3C501 Ethernet card (MCA bus) but I have misplaced the manual.
>
> Are you sure that it is a 3c501 ???
>
> I think that 3c523 is the Ethernet Card for MicroChannel
> And that 3c501 is for Normal Bus... isn't it ??

Argh!!  Sorry, it _is_ a 3C501, I just screwed up my bus names.

If anyone knows the jumper settings for the 3c501 and the matching settings
for the setup, or has a 3c501 manual, I'd appreciate the info.

Thanks,

Chris

shef@ipla01.hac.com (Ian B. Shef) (05/23/91)

In article <54009@nigel.ee.udel.edu> pyrros@cis.udel.edu (Christos Pyrros) writes:
>I have a 3com 3C501 Ethernet card (MCA bus) but I have misplaced the manual.
>I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please email me the jumper
>setting tables for the i/o address and memory address.

I have the same problem, but for the ISA (PC) bus version.  To tell the
truth, I didn't realize that ther is more than one version of the 3C501.

Thanks in advance.
Ian Shef                         Internet: shef@ipla01.hac.com  [128.152.40.86]
Hughes Aircraft Co. 268/W62          uucp: ...!usc!hacgate!ipla01!shef (maybe?)
8433 Fallbrook Avenue               phone: 818-702-4365
Canoga Park, CA 91304-0445       Any opinions expressed are author's own.

nsche@atr-11.hac.com (Norm Scherer) (05/25/91)

	>I have a 3com 3C501 Ethernet card (MCA bus) but I have misplaced the manual.
	>I would greatly appreciate it if someone could please email me the jumper
	>setting tables for the i/o address and memory address.

I have looked at some old documentation I have. It indicates that there may be
as many as three cards called the 3c501.  Here is some info on all of them.

1. Assembly 0345 (a long card with assy number located towards the middle bottom).

	dma channel 1 or 3	To select DMA channel 1 both jumpers should
				be set to connect the left and center pins on
				JP1 and JP2.  This is the factory setting.
				to select DMA channel 3 both jumpers should
				fit over the respective center and right pins.
	interrupt 3 or 5.	connect 3 to 4 on JP3 for int 3
				connect 4 to 5 on JP3 for int 5.
	base addr 200-3f0	selected by jp4, jp5, jp6, jp7 and jp8.
				There are 10 bits in the address numbered 0-9.
				bits 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 are controlled by the
				respective jumpers. for 0 jumper left to center.
				for 1 jumper center to right.
				16 addresses starting at the selected one are used.

2. Assembly 34-0780 (a long card with assy number located in top back corner)

	dma channel 1,2 or 3	There are two groups of jumpers located by the
				buss connector oriented vertically.  left group
				of three controls dma req while right group of three
				controls dma ack.  set a jumper to connect (vertically)
				set 1, 2 or 3 on each.  Both req and ack must be the
				same.
	Interrupt 2-7		jumpers located to left of the dma jumpers.  put one
				jumper over the labeled pin set to select the int level.
	iobase address		see procedure described above.  for 0 connect top to center,
				for 1 connect lower to center.

3. Assembly 1221 (short card with assy number located on top back corner)

	See instructions for 34-0780.

One or more of the cards seem to have memory address jumpers on them but my manual
doesn't mention them.

Norm