[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] PD TCP/IP libraries ?

ccsmd@ufhx1.ufh.ac.za (M. Daniel) (05/23/91)

Hi all

I'm looking for some public domain TCP/IP implementation for the IBM/PC that
will allow me to make TCP/IP calls from my programs, (calls like "write",
etc.).  C preferred.

Anyone know of anything available ?

Please reply directly to me;  I'd be glad to post a summary, if there's
enough interest.

Thanks in advance.

Mathew.

|    M. Daniel,  Computer Center,  University of Fort Hare,  Alice,  Ciskei.  |
|    Internet:  ccsmd@ufhx1.ufh.ac.za   -+-   uucp: ..!m2xenix!ufhx1!ccsmd    |

bmw@isgtec.uucp (Bruce M. Walker) (05/27/91)

[Mail to the requester bounced, so I'm posting this...]

In article <1991May23.125409.1255@ufhx1.ufh.ac.za> ccsmd@ufhx1.ufh.ac.z writes:
> I'm looking for some public domain TCP/IP implementation for the IBM/PC that
> will allow me to make TCP/IP calls from my programs, (calls like "write",
> etc.).  C preferred.

The two most common are:

PCIP (from CMU and Harvard [long story about lineage omitted])
	husc6.harvard.edu:pub/pcip [128.103.1.56]

and NCSA Telnet (also modified by Clarkson U and called CUTCP)
	ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu. - the original source; up to ver 2.3b15 or so.
	omnigate.clarkson.edu - V2.2TN 3270 version; also CUTCP versions

A newer one is called WATTCP and comes from U of Waterloo.
	sunee.uwaterloo.ca:/pub/wattcp/ [129.97.128.196]

Also, a nice PC SNMP package by crosson@cam.nist.gov (Bob Crosson)
comes with source and is therefore a good source of IP/UDP layer code:
	enh.nist.gov:snmpsrc1.tar_z [129.6.16.1]

Some Comments:

PCIP has weak TCP support, it leans heavily in the direction of UDP-
  based applications.  PCIP libraries create small stand-alone apps
  (and there are a ton of them!)  It is somewhat dated, and even one
  of the original hackers-upon-it has suggested that there are now
  better ways to go.

NCSA Telnet has strong TCP support (especially multiple TCP ports which
  PCIP lacks), but has scrimped on UDP (only allows one UDP port at a
  time; mainly for BOOTP and RARP).  It creates one large (monolithic)
  application with all your desired smaller apps (like FTP) built-in.

  I have found that the NCSA Telnet Version 2.2D (aka 2.2TN) is easy to
  hack upon, but you have to read all the sources closely as there is
  little programmer documentation.  However, I was able to strip down the
  libraries, port to Zortech C and create small apps like "ping" with
  it.

CUTCP - later versions are not provided with source, so no hacking.

WATTCP takes a minimalist approach (which I favour), but the early
  version of the library I played with had some bugs.  That early
  version (with no source for the libs) has since been upgraded and
  released with source, but I haven't had time to reinvestigate.  I think
  this package "has promise" and I intend to do some work with it.

SNMPMON (PC SNMP) - I haven't had a chance to evaluate this yet.

--
         "Remember, only *you* can prevent emacs!"
bmw@isgtec.uucp  [ ..uunet!utai!lsuc!isgtec!bmw ]  Bruce Walker