[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Fragmented packets

FRUTIG%BRLNCC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (05/25/91)

Hello,

	I am using CUTCP/CUTE to telnet'ing to Internet hosts
	(e.g. nic.ddn.mil) and I am receiving the following messages :

		IP: fragmented packet received, frags not supported
		TCP: bad checksum

	Relevant parameters in my config.tel :

		mtu=512
		maxseg=512     # to avoid receiving fragmented packets !
		rwin=512

	Any help would be great ! Thanks in advance.

Marcello Frutig - FRUTIG at BRLNCC.BITNET
Network Manager at
Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro - BRAZIL

skl@wimsey.bc.ca (Samuel Lam) (05/29/91)

In article <9105241110.aa04665@louie.udel.edu>, FRUTIG%BRLNCC@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
 wrote:
>	IP: fragmented packet received, frags not supported
>	mtu=512
>	maxseg=512     # to avoid receiving fragmented packets !
>	rwin=512

"mtu" and "maxseg" should NOT be the same, otherwise you could
get fragmentations.  "mtu" should at least be 40 bytes more than
"maxseg" in order to account for the length of the TCP/IP headers.
Give "mtu=576" a try and see if it's any better.

...Sam
--
<skl@wimsey.bc.ca>