[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] SMTP mail client for MS-DOS

knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) (05/22/91)

I've fallen a bit out of touch with the PC networking area lately, so let
me ask everyone at large:

Is there a public-domain package that would allow one to send and receive
SMTP mail from the PC?  I understand receiving would be a problem for
someonw who runs WordPerfect all day, so alternately, is there a public-domain
POP client for the PC (preferably one with a Unix end that I could set up
here as well :)

Thanks in advance.
Rob Knauerhase

JFORD@MIB333.MIB.ENG.UA.EDU (James Ford) (05/23/91)

=>I've fallen a bit out of touch with the PC networking area lately, so let
=>me ask everyone at large:
=>
=>Is there a public-domain package that would allow one to send and receive
=>SMTP mail from the PC?  I understand receiving would be a problem for
=>someonw who runs WordPerfect all day, so alternately, is there a public-domain
=>POP client for the PC (preferably one with a Unix end that I could set up
=>here as well :)

You should get PMAIL21A.ZIP and CHARON31.ZIP.  This is a fantastic mailer
created by David Harris and a great SMTP gateway for it created by Brad
Clements.  This is a novell-specific mailer.  Its available from mibsrv
(130.160.20.80) in the directory pub/network-pc/pegasus.  If you do not
have a copy of PKZIP v110, you can get the file pub/pkz110eu.exe, run it
and then extract the other files.

=>Thanks in advance.
=>Rob Knauerhase

James Ford - jford@ua1vm.ua.edu, JFORD@mib333.mib.eng.ua.edu
             The University of Alabama in Tucsaloosa.

paul@k9.hawkesbury.uws.EDU.AU (Paul Hardaker) (05/27/91)

knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) writes:

>Is there a public-domain package that would allow one to send and receive
>SMTP mail from the PC?  I understand receiving would be a problem for
>someonw who runs WordPerfect all day, so alternately, is there a public-domain
>POP client for the PC (preferably one with a Unix end that I could set up
>here as well :)

POPmail from micro.boombox.umn.edu. is probably the best.

PH

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (05/27/91)

paul@k9.hawkesbury.uws.EDU.AU (Paul Hardaker) writes:

>knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) writes:
>
>>Is there a public-domain package that would allow one to send and receive
>>SMTP mail from the PC?  I understand receiving would be a problem for
>>someonw who runs WordPerfect all day, so alternately, is there a public-domain
>>POP client for the PC (preferably one with a Unix end that I could set up
>>here as well :)
>
>POPmail from micro.boombox.umn.edu. is probably the best.

|   phil@ux1:/cso/staff/phil 172> ftp micro.boombox.umn.edu
|   ftp: micro.boombox.umn.edu: Unknown host
|   ftp> quit
|   phil@ux1:/cso/staff/phil 173> nslookup micro.boombox.umn.edu
|   Server:  ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
|   Address:  128.174.5.59
|
|   *** ux1.cso.uiuc.edu can't find micro.boombox.umn.edu: Non-existent domain
|   phil@ux1:/cso/staff/phil 174>

Got an IP address?

How about a TSR SMTPD?
--
 /***************************************************************************\
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \

kxb@math.ksu.edu (Karl Buck) (05/27/91)

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:

>paul@k9.hawkesbury.uws.EDU.AU (Paul Hardaker) writes:

>>knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) writes:
>>
>>>Is there a public-domain package that would allow one to send and receive
>>>SMTP mail from the PC?  I understand receiving would be a problem for
>>>someonw who runs WordPerfect all day, so alternately, is there a public-domain
>>>POP client for the PC (preferably one with a Unix end that I could set up
>>>here as well :)
>>
>>POPmail from micro.boombox.umn.edu. is probably the best.

[..]

>Got an IP address?

It's actually boombox.micro.umn.edu, or: 128.101.95.95
--
 Karl Buck
 KSU Dept. of Mathematics                 email: kxb@hilbert.math.ksu.edu

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (05/27/91)

> POPmail from micro.boombox.umn.edu. is probably the best.

You got that a little transposed.

$ host boombox.micro.umn.edu
boombox.micro.umn.edu has address 128.101.95.95
boombox.micro.umn.edu mail is handled by boombox.micro.umn.edu

paul@k9.hawkesbury.uws.EDU.AU (Paul Hardaker) (05/30/91)

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:

>paul@k9.hawkesbury.uws.EDU.AU (Paul Hardaker) writes:

>>knauer@cs.uiuc.edu (Rob Knauerhase) writes:
>>
>>>Is there a public-domain package that would allow one to send and receive
>>>SMTP mail from the PC?  I understand receiving would be a problem for
>>>someonw who runs WordPerfect all day, so alternately, is there a public-domain
>>>POP client for the PC (preferably one with a Unix end that I could set up
>>>here as well :)
>>
>>POPmail from micro.boombox.umn.edu. is probably the best.

>|   phil@ux1:/cso/staff/phil 172> ftp micro.boombox.umn.edu
>|   ftp: micro.boombox.umn.edu: Unknown host
>|   ftp> quit
>|   phil@ux1:/cso/staff/phil 173> nslookup micro.boombox.umn.edu
>|   Server:  ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
>|   Address:  128.174.5.59
>|
>|   *** ux1.cso.uiuc.edu can't find micro.boombox.umn.edu: Non-existent domain
>|   phil@ux1:/cso/staff/phil 174>

>Got an IP address?

>How about a TSR SMTPD?
>--

Sorry, my mistake. Try boombox.micro.umn.edu.