[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] SQL-Net/TCP and Packet Drivers

kuyper@cside1.uucp (Kuyper Hoffman) (05/28/91)

Oracle's SQL-Net/TCP for a PC-based SQL client supports FTP's PC-TCP
kernel and allows the clients to communicate across the Ethernet
using Packet Drivers.

Who knows of any Public Domain PC-TCP kernel?

It is not going to be viable to buy n copies of PC-TCP as all the
features such as Telnet and ftp are unnecessary, only the ability to
speak to Packet Drivers will be needed.

Alternately, anyone know how to get SQL-Net/TCP talking _directly_
to a packet driver (ie without the PC-TCP kernel)?

Any help with this would be appreciated, but please mail me as well
as posting to the group(s) as I do not subscribe to all groups and
expiry often trashes stuff before I can read it if I go away.

Many thanks

Kuyper
--
|      Kuyper Hoffman                   |  Life is just a bowl of All-Bran |
|  kuyper@cside1.UUCP                   |  You wake up every morning       |

gts@MICA.BERKELEY.EDU (Greg Small) (05/29/91)

= From pcip-request@louie.udel.edu Tue May 28 17:52:13 1991
= From: Kuyper Hoffman <zephyr.ens.tek.com!tektronix!percy!m2xenix!quagga!ucthpx!oct1!cside1!kuyper@uunet.uu.net>
= Oracle's SQL-Net/TCP for a PC-based SQL client supports FTP's PC-TCP kernel
= and allows the clients to communicate across the Ethernet using Packet
= Drivers. It is not going to be viable to buy n copies of PC-TCP as all the
= features such as Telnet and ftp are unnecessary,  ....

FTP Software, Inc. has special pricing for the kernel only.  Also check out
their discounts for quantity 5 and 10, or their site "right-to-copy" pricing
for quantities 20 or greater.  The resulting price should be inconsequential
compared to the price of the SQL client code.  617-246-0900, or they may
answer you directly on this mail group.

Jaap.VanGinkel@HTO.RHIJ.NL (05/29/91)

We had several meetings with the tech people from Oracle hollans, We had
the same questions about SQLnet, You're out of luck they support only 4
different TCP/IP protocol stacks, The cheapest is the one of FTP software,
But if yoe don't need teh utilities from PC/TCP you can buy the kernel
version, For SQLnet you just need the socketdriver. worley@ftp.com can
tell you more about it

Jaap

chris@proxima.UUCP (Chris Old) (05/29/91)

Thus spake kuyper@cside1.uucp (Kuyper Hoffman):

>Who knows of any Public Domain PC-TCP kernel?

As far as I know (which is very little), KA9Q might be what you are
looking for.

chris

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (05/29/91)

Kuyper Hoffman (kuyper@cside1.UUCP) writes:

> It is not going to be viable to buy n copies of PC-TCP as all the
> features such as Telnet and ftp are unnecessary, only the ability to
> speak to Packet Drivers will be needed.

Along with "the ability to speak to packet drivers," you need TCP (or
UDP) and IP for getting the data across the network. We do sell (as
the kernel) the configuration you want (just the TCP/IP without any of
the higher level applications). It is popular among people in your
situation, who are running applications from other companies.

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

meggers@darwin.helios.nd.edu (Temp account) (05/30/91)

You really do not need to buy the entire PC/TCP package.  You only need
the kernel implementation.  This is available from FTP Software as
PC-K210 (for the packet driver version) and costs $200 quantity 1.
Substantial discounts are available for quantity purchases.

If you need telnet, ftp, tn3270, etc., then you will need the complete
package ($400 quantity 1).

I don't know if you can run both FTP's kernel and a PD package since
the packet driver can't tell which TCP/IP application should get the
information - just conjecture here.

I am not affiliated with FTP Software - just like their products.

Mark Eggers, WDI