[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] LAN Manager and ISO/OSI

ljm@FTP.COM (leo j mclaughlin iii) (05/30/91)

>>4>  Does LAN manager provide file services to UNIX boxes via NFS or does
>>    it implement its own protocol ?  I'm not sure which of these would be
>>    preferable, perhaps you can offer some opinion ?
>
>LanMan uses ISO/OSI protocols....

LAN Manager out of the box uses NetBEUI.  It can be used over any protocol
suite which supports NetBIOS including MAP/TOP (there is no ISO/OSI
standard for NetBIOS over TPx), RFC 1001/1002 w/TCP-IP, XNS, IPX, etc.

>...Most large network envorionments currently use TCP/IP but the trend is
>toward shifting to ISO/OSI (the gov't has adopted ISO/OSI).

That would be ISO/OSI written, of course, in ADA.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
ljm@ftp.com

jbreeden@netcom.COM (John Breeden) (05/31/91)

In article <9105292330.AA27869@ftp.com> ljm@ftp.com writes:
>LAN Manager out of the box uses NetBEUI.  It can be used over any protocol
>suite which supports NetBIOS including MAP/TOP (there is no ISO/OSI
>standard for NetBIOS over TPx), RFC 1001/1002 w/TCP-IP, XNS, IPX, etc.

Leo's right, and AT&T's StarGROUP is Lan Man over MAP/Netbios. A few years
ago, an interop was demonstrated between a buch of Lan Man OEM's demonstrating
interoperability between their Lan Mans using MAP/Netbios (as I recall it
was AT&T, Bull, 3Com and someone else). AT&T is currently the only Lan Man
vendor shipping a MAP/Netbios layer as a commercial product.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
    jbreeden@netcom.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

cmilono@netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) (05/31/91)

In article <9105292330.AA27869@ftp.com> ljm@ftp.com writes:

>>>4>  Does LAN manager provide file services to UNIX boxes via NFS or does
>>>    it implement its own protocol ?  I'm not sure which of these would be
>>>    preferable, perhaps you can offer some opinion ?
>>
>>LanMan uses ISO/OSI protocols....
>>

>LAN Manager out of the box uses NetBEUI.  It can be used over any protocol
>suite which supports NetBIOS including MAP/TOP (there is no ISO/OSI
>standard for NetBIOS over TPx), RFC 1001/1002 w/TCP-IP, XNS, IPX, etc.
>
>>...Most large network envorionments currently use TCP/IP but the trend is
>>toward shifting to ISO/OSI (the gov't has adopted ISO/OSI).
>
>That would be ISO/OSI written, of course, in ADA.
>
>enjoy,
>leo j mclaughlin iii
>ljm@ftp.com

LAN Manager "out of the box", if from IBM or Microsoft, does indeed
use NetBEUI - unfortunate, since it is a non-routable protocol.  Considering
that AT&T has linked with MS, and AT&T uses TP4 (lower four layers of
OSI), and since about 10 vendors are behind this linkage, I would expect
to see more and more TP4/OSI networks being build.  True, the MAP/TOP
spec isn't full OSI, and implements an AFI of 49 (local), which is not
GOSIP compliant, TP4 CLNS *is* a true OSI standard...just not exactly
what the Government wants.  I might hasten to add that it is quite easily
configurable to GOSIP specs as regards the Network Layer.
|                   Carlo Milono                                           |
|    Personal:    cmilono@netcom.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono           |
| Hobbes: "Life in the Great Suburban Outback is certainly fraught with    |
|          peril."                                                         |
| Calvin: "If you'd seen it, you'd have been scared too."                  |