[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NDIS

ljm@TWG.COM (Leo J McLaughlin) (08/25/89)

>We've put the adapter up for anonymous FTP, but only in binary form, and
>we have no immediate plans to release source (partly the driver is still
>up in the air in some areas, but it would also encourage us if you and/or
>Leo M released something of similar worth...).

I don't really know of anything we have that is of similar worth.

We already released our IP over NetBIOS specification as RFC 1088.
Though I did decide not to publish it as an RFC because of its
limitations, our current IP over IPX specification is available to
anyone who wants it. I suppose we could release our TWGDRVR over FTP
software packet driver and TWGDRVR over NDIS drivers, but they aren't
much use to anyone without a Wollongong TCP/IP kernel.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
Project Manager
The Wollongong Group
ljm@twg.com

kirkby@bandar.dg.oz (Chris Kirkby) (05/24/91)

Can anyone tell what an NDIS driver is ?
Thanks in advance

--
Chris Kirkby			| Internet:  kirkby@dgaust.oz.dg.com
Data General			| ACSnet:    kirkby@dgaust.dg.oz

thompson@Shiva.COM (Christopher "C.P." Thompson) (05/27/91)

>>> Can anyone tell what an NDIS driver is ?

NDIS is the Network Driver Interface Specification. The main benefit of using
this type of driver is that multiple protocols can coexist on the same adapter.
A similar concept is the Open DataLink Interface (ODLI aka ODI). Both NDIS and
ODI are commercial specifications. The forebearer of these two competing
"standards" is the packet drivers collection now maintained by Clarkson
University. The packet drivers were originally created by FTP. FTP made this
specification public which has allowed drivers to be created for a wide variety
of Network Interface Cards (NIC) (generally referred to as the ethernet or
token-ring boards).
The main reason to use on of these specifiactions is to allow a single NIC
simultaneous access to multiple protocol stacks. For example: A P.C. using such
a driver with an ethernet board can have a telnet session going to an IP host
(such as a SUN) and still be logged into a Netware Server. Without one of these
drivers, the user was limited to a single protocol stack at a time: Thus to
gain access to an IP host after mounting a NetWare server, the user would
logout of the Netware Server, unload IPX (which is a neat trick in itself of
you don't want to reboot :>) load the IP stack, telnet or FTP to the IP host,
and then reverse the procedure when finished, i.e.  remove the IP stack, load
ipx (and netx) relog into the Netware Server ..... (Not for the faint of heart
and oh! what a pain)
For a more complete discussion of this standard, Byte magazine covered the
Clarkson drivers in their May 1991 issue (p.297) and if memory serves me they
discussed ODI versus NDIS in their August 1990 issue.
Hoped this helps
C.P. Thompson

"I knew I saw it all when the same type of machine I used at work to do financial analysis was being used by  my auto repair shop to fix my car"    --- That's 1 for P.C.s.... :)

ken@racerx.UUCP (Ken Hardy) (05/31/91)

There is an article in the June LAN Technology magazine that discusses
the Clarkson, NDIS, and ODI drivers in a fair amount of detail.  Many
diagrams and charts and comparisons.

--

Ken Hardy                         uunet!racerx!ken
Bridge Information Systems        racerx!ken@relay1.uu.net

csmoko@relay.nswc.navy.mil (Chuck Smoko - E41) (05/31/91)

In article <700@racerx.UUCP>, ken@racerx.UUCP (Ken Hardy) writes:

There is an article in the June LAN Technology magazine that discusses
> the Clarkson, NDIS, and ODI drivers in a fair amount of detail.  Many
> diagrams and charts and comparisons.
>

> --
>
> Ken Hardy                         uunet!racerx!ken
> Bridge Information Systems        racerx!ken@relay1.uu.net

On a related subject there is a good article in the May 91 BYTE on
packet drivers.

					chuck smoko
					csmoko@relay.nswc.navy.mil