[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Problem with ka9q, wd8003e, clarkson

stephen@drummond.arch.su.oz.au (Stephen Tolhurst <stephen>) (05/30/91)

This is my first encounter with DOS machines.
I am trying to set up a PC with two WD8003E cards
to act as a router using ka9q.  Using the packet driver
supplied with the card I can get ka9q to talk to my net but
this driver can only handle one card.  Using the clarkson
packet drivers I cant get ka9q to talk at all.   With the
clarkson drivers I can use pktrng to get the two boards to talk
to each other ok.

Why won't ka9q talk to the clarkson drivers?
Details:

Drivers started with:
WD8003E 0x60 0x3 0x280 0xd000
WD8003E 0x61 0x4 0x2a0 0xce00

ka9q started as (for either WD or clarkson driver)
ip addr 129.78.66.77
attach packet 0x60 en0 8 1500
route add 129.78.66.64/26 en0

Stephen Tolhurst (Computer System Manager) (02) 692-3549 Fax: (02) 692-3031
Dept of Architectural Science     ACSnet: stephen@archsci.su.oz
Wilkinson Building G04            ARPA:    stephen%archsci.su.oz@uunet.uu.net
University of Sydney  2006        UUCP:    uunet!munnari!archsci.su.oz!stephen

opschk@GANGES.UCOP.EDU (05/31/91)

Stefan Tolhurst writes:
>Drivers started with:
>WD8003E 0x60 0x3 0x280 0xd000
>WD8003E 0x61 0x4 0x2a0 0xce00

>ka9q started as (for either WD or clarkson driver)
>ip addr 129.78.66.77
>attach packet 0x60 en0 8 1500
>route add 129.78.66.64/26 en0

If you start packet with  WD8003E 0x60 0x3 0x280 0xd000, it means you are using
IRQ 3 => in ka9q, you must use:
attach packet 0x60 en0 3 1500

		Camille Iwanowitsch Kayruzian
		opschk@ganges.ucop.edu, 415 987 03 62

nerd@percival.rain.com (Michael Galassi) (05/31/91)

opschk@GANGES.UCOP.EDU writes:

>If you start packet with  WD8003E 0x60 0x3 0x280 0xd000, it means you are using
>IRQ 3 => in ka9q, you must use:
>attach packet 0x60 en0 3 1500

I don't know what version of ka9q you use, but all the ones I know of
the parameter after the interface name on the packet attach command is
the queue length and has nothing to do with the IRQ vector chosen.

-michael
--
Michael Galassi				| nerd@percival.rain.com
MS-DOS:  The ultimate PC virus.		| ...!tektronix!percy!nerd

N5X@psuvm.psu.edu (James C Mankin) (05/31/91)

In article <9105301857.AA29500@ganges.ucop.edu>, opschk@GANGES.UCOP.EDU says:

>Stefan Tolhurst writes:
>>Drivers started with:
>>WD8003E 0x60 0x3 0x280 0xd000
>>WD8003E 0x61 0x4 0x2a0 0xce00

>>ka9q started as (for either WD or clarkson driver)
>>ip addr 129.78.66.77
>>attach packet 0x60 en0 8 1500
>>route add 129.78.66.64/26 en0

>If you start packet with  WD8003E 0x60 0x3 0x280 0xd000, it means you are
>using
>IRQ 3 => in ka9q, you must use:
>attach packet 0x60 en0 3 1500

>                Camille Iwanowitsch Kayruzian
>                opschk@ganges.ucop.edu, 415 987 03 62
No, if you are using the packet driver then ka9q doesnt need or care to know
which hardware interrupt is being used.  That parameter in the attach command
is the number of buffers.  See the response from typing 'attach packet ?'
73's Jim KB3KJ