[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Token Ring promiscuous software.

bill@nerix.nerdc.ufl.edu (Bill Kirchhoff) (05/23/91)

I am looking for C/Assembly routines to place an IBM Token Ring card
into promiscuous mode so that I can strip out the headers.  The header
information would then be used in a graduate research project on network
load distribution.  All help is greatly appreciated.

- Bill

--
* William S. Kirchhoff - Northeast Regional Data Center - Computer Analyst *
*  bill@nerix.nerdc.ufl.edu (AIX)       bill@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu (VM/CMS)  *

dzoey@TERMINUS.UMD.EDU (05/24/91)

> From: Bill Kirchhoff <bill@nerix.nerdc.ufl.edu>

> I am looking for C/Assembly routines to place an IBM Token Ring card
> into promiscuous mode so that I can strip out the headers.

The firmware on stock IBM Token Ring cards does not allow promiscuous
mode.  The only think you'll when in promiscous mode are packets
directed to the card, multicasts and broadcasts.  You can buy a
special board from IBM ("Performance and Measurement Card"?  Not sure
if that's the name) that has a different set of firmware that does
allow promiscous mode.  You can also buy 3rd party token ring boards
that will support promiscous mode.  Lastly, you can spend a few
thousand dollars and get a Lanalyzer or equivalent tool.

Your best bet is to find some ethernet :-)

			Joe Herman
			U. of Maryland.

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu

CHARLIE@UMVMA.BITNET (Charlie Turner) (05/24/91)

On Thu, 23 May 91 15:58:43 GMT Bill Kirchhoff said:
>I am looking for C/Assembly routines to place an IBM Token Ring card
>into promiscuous mode so that I can strip out the headers.  The header
>information would then be used in a graduate research project on
>network
>load distribution.  All help is greatly appreciated.

My understanding is that, except for the special trace and performance
(TAP) T/R adapter, IBM T/R adapters have no promiscuous mode. This is
what IBM marketing folks say when you ask about security.

On the other hand, I don't understand how a non promiscuous T/R
adapter could work in a bridge but they do. So are they *really*
non promiscuous?

Inquiring minds would like to know!

dzoey@TERMINUS.UMD.EDU (05/25/91)

> From: Charlie Turner <CHARLIE%UMVMA.bitnet@umrvmb.umr.edu>

> On the other hand, I don't understand how a non promiscuous T/R
> adapter could work in a bridge but they do. So are they *really*
> non promiscuous?

The token ring bridge isn't really a bridge, but a brouter (yes, folks
it's more confusing terminology!  Question: What's a gateway?  Answer:
about 10 pounds.  But I digress.) The TR bridge doesn't forward all
packets between the two rings.

When a machine on one ring (HOSTA) wants to communicate with a machine
on another ring (HOSTJ), it sends out (for the sake of the IP world)
an ARP which is transmitted as a (possibly all-rings) broadcast.  When
the bridge receives a broadcast it records its (the bridge's) address
in the packet's source routing field and broadcasts it on the other
ring.  When HOSTJ receives the broadcast packet, it stores HOSTA's
address and the source routing information that was collected on the
way.  When HOSTJ replies to HOSTA, it puts the source routing
information it collected about HOSTA into the packet.  Each bridge the
packet passes reads the source route and gets the address for the next
hop.

Source routing is not part of the 802.5 standard (or it wasn't last
time I was involved in this stuff. It's been a while since I looked).
It's an IBM implementation standard.  The IBM token ring tech ref.
does a reasonable job of explaining source routing more detail.

			Joe Herman
			U. of Maryland

jbvb@FTP.COM ("James B. Van Bokkelen") (05/25/91)

    I am looking for C/Assembly routines to place an IBM Token Ring card
    into promiscuous mode so that I can strip out the headers.

As far as I know, IBM specifically designed all of its standard Token Ring
adapters so they cannot be placed in promiscuous mode under any circumstances.
This is a "security feature".  IBM does have a special "Ring Monitoring"
interface, but when I last asked, they weren't willing to provide any
programming information (it is used by their own ring monitoring products).
Most other vendors' 802.5 cards use the TI chipset, and can be placed in
promiscuous mode given the proper firmware (frequently supplied as PROMs
by the board vendor).

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

j_rodin@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Jon Rodin) (05/28/91)

The Proteon token-ring boards can be put into promiscuous mode.  That is why
802.5 LAN analyzers like the Sniffer and LANWatch run on Proteon cards.

Jon Rodin
j_rodin@cnd.hp.com

dbrown@apple.com (David Brown) (05/30/91)

In article <7260010@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> j_rodin@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Jon Rodin)
writes:
> The Proteon token-ring boards can be put into promiscuous mode.  That is
why
> 802.5 LAN analyzers like the Sniffer and LANWatch run on Proteon cards.

Not quite - the older 4mb T/R card for the Sniffer was based on a 3Com
TokenLink (at least ours is), and the newer 16/4 card is based on the IBM
card.

David Brown    415-649-4000
Orion Network Systems
 (a subsidiary of Apple Computer)
1995 University Ave
Suite 350
Berkeley CA 94704

dana@locus.com (Dana H. Myers) (06/01/91)

In article <7260010@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> j_rodin@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Jon Rodin) writes:
>The Proteon token-ring boards can be put into promiscuous mode.  That is why
>802.5 LAN analyzers like the Sniffer and LANWatch run on Proteon cards.

  Heh-heh. I haven't seen the token ring standard proper, but I know from
experience that token ring interfaces in promiscuous mode make this
clear to the rest of the ring.

   Several years ago a coworker connected a sniffer to a rather large
ring at a large company. The next day the network police showed up and
insisted testing using the sniffer take place on a private ring.

--
 * Dana H. Myers KK6JQ 		| Views expressed here are	*
 * (213) 337-5136 		| mine and do not necessarily	*