[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] LPD and PostScript printers

jda@coach.shell.com (Joel D. Anderson) (06/01/91)

From a Sun workstation I'm trying to print ascii files to a PostScript
printer attached to a DOS PC.  The PC is running PC/TCP LPD (v1.0) from
FTP Software.

Things work great if on the Sun I print a postscript file with
'lpr -h postscript.file', but if I try to print a plain ascii file (or
exclude the -h lpr option), the file never prints.  The printer does not
handle non-postscript-encapsulated files and subsequently flushes its buffer.

As the PC's LPD doesn't have the capacity to filter the input job to
postscript, I believe the problem resides within the UNIX /etc/printcap
file.  I've tried and tried different variations with no success.

What's the trick?

Following is my Sun's /etc/printcap before I gave up:

pcps:lp=:rm=pc1:rp=postscr:sd=/usr/spool/pcps:lf=/usr/spool/pcps/pcps-pcps:\
	mx#0:if=/usr/tran/lib/psif:of=/usr/tran/lib/psof
--
Joel D. Anderson
Shell Oil Company, Information Center    Houston, TX            (713) 795-3541

ian@unipalm.uucp (Ian Phillipps) (06/03/91)

jda@coach.shell.com (Joel D. Anderson) writes:

>From a Sun workstation I'm trying to print ascii files to a PostScript
>printer attached to a DOS PC.  The PC is running PC/TCP LPD (v1.0) from
>FTP Software.

>Things work great if on the Sun I print a postscript file with
>'lpr -h postscript.file', but if I try to print a plain ascii file (or
>exclude the -h lpr option), the file never prints.  The printer does not
>handle non-postscript-encapsulated files and subsequently flushes its buffer.

I don't know Transcript (which is presumably what those filters are)
well enough to know why the encapsulation of plain text files isn't
working. However, to get printing without the -h, include a ctrl/D as
the last character of the header.  The header then gets thrown away (or
printed, if it was real PS).

PS - you have to put a REAL Ctrl/D in your config file, not an octal
escape, whatever the FTP manual may imply.

Ian