[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Bootp ROM

NGWL@NUSDISCS.BITNET (Ng Wei Lin) (06/03/91)

Hello people,

  I know this can be one of the variations of a frequently-asked-question, but
I've no choice.

  You see, we want to use some diskless workstations to act as terminals to
connect to our hosts and we would like them to run CUTCP.  Currently, we
have a bootp server(from tacky.cs.olemiss) on our backbone and we would like
to make use of a BootpROM for our diskless workstations.  Is there any PD
bootpROM software for CUTCP so that we can burn chip?  Or is there any other
way we can run CUTCP on diskless workstations?

  Thank you.

- Wei-Lin Ng (email:ngwl@nusdiscs.bitnet)
  National University of Singapore

johnm@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (06/04/91)

In article <66AB540D229FA0363F@nusdiscs.bitnet>, Ng Wei Lin writes:
>   You see, we want to use some diskless workstations to act as terminals to
> connect to our hosts and we would like them to run CUTCP.  ...
> ... Or is there any other
> way we can run CUTCP on diskless workstations?

We have many student labs with "diskless" PCs.  The floppy disk drive(s)
are used to store assignment source code etc. between prac classes, not
store application programs or boot from.

The PCs use standard Novell remote boot ROMs to load a remote boot image
from a Novell server.  The AUTOEXEC.BAT in the boot image loads a packet
driver (using the -n and -d options), an IPX linked with BYU's PDSHELL,
and NET3.  The AUTOEXEC.BAT also logs the PC into a Novell server as
user "STUDENT".

The STUDENT usercode has no write-access to the fileserver and
(licensed) programs are set execute-only.  Also, they can't nab a copy
of DOS from the fileserver using FORMAT /S .  These steps reduce the
risk of viruses infecting the servers and of people pirating software.

The students can run CUTCP stored on the Novell fileserver to access our
bigger hosts.  The PC finds out its name, IP address, gateway address
and nameserver addresses using BOOTP.

Filters in our IP routers prevent direct access to the Internet from the
anonymous student PCs -- users would have to log on to a bigger host
first, supplying their own individual username/password.

	John
--
John Mann, Leader - Networking Section  email: johnm@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
Computer Centre, Monash University      phone: +61 3 565 4774