[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] ping through gateways

ccdw@hippo.ru.ac.za (Dave Wilson) (06/04/91)

I have been doing some work on implementing bootp for a couple of
programs I have, and have noticed something strange...  We have a couple
of XENIX and SUN boxes, and have a remote link (with PCRoute) to another
site.  If I set my gateway address to the IP address of a XENIX system,
and then ping the remote system, the XENIX system will reroute the echo
request to the PCRouter and all is well.   However, if I set the gateway
IP address to one of the SUNs, the echo request is not rerouted and
there is no response.  I've watched this happening with LANWatch, so I'm
pretty sure of the facts.  I have tried PCTCP and PCIP pings (as well as
my own) with the same results in each case.

Any ideas welcome.

--
Dave Wilson                  | Internet: ccdw@hippo.ru.ac.za
Systems Programmer, Rhodes U.|    -or- : ccdw.hippo@f4.n7104.z5.fidonet.org

barrett@Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Alan P Barrett) (06/05/91)

In article <ccdw.676029715@hippo>,
ccdw@hippo.ru.ac.za (Dave Wilson) writes:
> If I set my gateway address to the IP address of a XENIX system,
> and then ping the remote system, the XENIX system will reroute the echo
> request to the PCRouter and all is well.   However, if I set the gateway
> IP address to one of the SUNs, the echo request is not rerouted and
> there is no response.

The Xenix system is not complying with RFC1122 section 3.1, but the Sun is
complying.

" 3. INTERNET LAYER PROTOCOLS
"
"    3.1 INTRODUCTION
"
"       [...]
"
"       Any host that forwards datagrams generated by another host is
"       acting as a gateway and MUST also meet the specifications laid out
"       in the gateway requirements RFC [INTRO:2].  An Internet host that
"       includes embedded gateway code MUST have a configuration switch to
"       disable the gateway function, and this switch MUST default to the
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"       non-gateway mode.  In this mode, a datagram arriving through one
"       interface will not be forwarded to another host or gateway (unless
"       it is source-routed), regardless of whether the host is single-
"       homed or multihomed.  The host software MUST NOT automatically
"       move into gateway mode if the host has more than one interface, as
"       the operator of the machine may neither want to provide that
"       service nor be competent to do so.

--apb
Alan Barrett, Dept. of Electronic Eng., Univ. of Natal, Durban, South Africa
RFC822: barrett@ee.und.ac.za             Bang: m2xenix!quagga!undeed!barrett