[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] NE2000/Clarkson packet drivers/Novell also, NCSA

sarahg@MERIT.EDU (Sarah Gray) (06/05/91)

     Has anyone gotten the NE2000 packet driver to work with the BYU
ipx program?  I can load the packet driver (and make it work with NCSA),
and load the BYU program, but NET4 hangs.  This has happened with two
machines.  I can get this setup to work fine with other cards.

     And a couple of NCSA 2.3 questions: does anyone else have the
problem that when they exit NCSA, they can't see their prompt?  Some users
wait, thinking their connection is not closed.  I can see my prompt
when I hit <CR>, but it confuses others.
     When you try and open a connection with NCSA, does it try and open
two connections to the same place?

dth@TXS.PITT.EDU (Daniel Holtzman) (06/05/91)

>From: Sarah Gray <sarahg@merit.edu>
>To: pcip@udel.edu
>Subject: NE2000/Clarkson packet drivers/Novell     also, NCSA
>Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 15:24:36 -0400

... NE2000 stuff deleted

>     And a couple of NCSA 2.3 questions: does anyone else have the
>problem that when they exit NCSA, they can't see their prompt?  Some users
>wait, thinking their connection is not closed.  I can see my prompt
>when I hit <CR>, but it confuses others.
>     When you try and open a connection with NCSA, does it try and open
>two connections to the same place?

As for the disappearing prompt, I had that problem too. Since I have my
users access NCSA via a batch file which is the same name as the local
hosts they normally attach to I added an ECHO statement in the batch
file. This way when they end the session, the ECHO statement is executed
in the batch file, and the DOS prompt reappears.

I'm not at my PC, but I do believe it will open multiple connections to
the same host.

Daniel Holtzman
dth@txs.pitt.edu

LPARK@KENTVM.KENT.EDU (Lloyd Park) (06/06/91)

     I have been using the NE2000 packet driver and the BYU shell on my 386
for about a month.  I run DOS 4 with windows and have had no problems with
the packet drivers.  I have been using the 3.02 versions of IPX and NET4.