[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] SOSS Performance - Is it really this bad?

mikef@leland.Stanford.EDU (Michael Fallavollita) (06/05/91)

The small business I'm associated with was hoping that SOSS was the solution
to it's networking problems, so we set up a test with one PC running SOSS,
and the other PC running PC-NFS 3.01.  As a test, we attempted to transfer
a 0.5MB file from the Server to the Client.  This transfer took 14 seconds!!!
Attempting to copy the file from one directory on the Server to another
directory on the Server caused a stack error and crash on the Server.  The
server was running PC-Kwik as well as Qemm.

Has anyone seen similar performance, or can anyone report much better
performance?  I can't believe that it is this bad, but I can't think of
anything that could be causing problems.  The same ethernet cables are
currently supporting a LAN running PCI but I don't think that should cause
any interference.  How does PC-NFS 3.5 differ as far as performance is
concerned?

Any suggestions/pointers/information would be greatly appreciated.

				Mike Fallavollita
				mikef@joshua.stanford.edu
                \\
         -----  ||     Mike Fallavollita

mikef@leland.Stanford.EDU (Michael Fallavollita) (06/06/91)

Can anyone quote me some performance stats for SOSS?  The company I work for
thought that SOSS would solve it's LAN problems, but after getting it installed
we tried to transfer a 0.5MB file from the server to a client running PC-NFS
3.01.  The transfer took 14 seconds.  When we tried to copy the same file
to a different directory on the server, the server got a stack error and
crashed.

I can't believe that SOSS is this bad, but I don't know what we could have
done wrong.  Both PCs have WD8003 cards.  The server was running PC-Kwik and
has 4MB of memory.  We were also running PCI over the same cables for different
PCs while testing but I don't know how that could affect things.

Any help, pointers, or information would be appreciated.

Mike Fallavollita
MicroTech Conversion Systems
mikef@joshua.stanford.edu
fallavol@corvus.arc.nasa.gov
                \\
         -----  ||     Mike Fallavollita

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.055230.24965@leland.Stanford.EDU> mikef@leland.Stanford.EDU (Michael Fallavollita) writes:
>The small business I'm associated with was hoping that SOSS was the solution
>to it's networking problems, so we set up a test with one PC running SOSS,
>a 0.5MB file from the Server to the Client.  This transfer took 14 seconds!!!

	I am running the latest version (?) of soss, the one with
	1024 byte packets.  I run it on a 33 mhz 386 under a DesQview
	window with various other things going on in other windows.
	a 400k file takes 5 seconds to copy using cp from
	the pc to my 386 UNIX system.
	Is a little slow, but faster than a floppy!

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us