[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Ethernet Cards

fetrow@bones.biostat.washington.edu (Dave Fetrow) (10/27/89)

 Currently we're using Micom-Interlan NI-5010 cards in stock IBM ATs.
This card seems to be a little geriatic, a little slow and no longer
enjoys tremendous support (we mix and match weird stuff; e.g. we want
Xwindows and NFS so we need a card where COMPATABLE versions of PC
Xwindows, NFS and telnet [under DOS] exist).

 Some of our newer machines seem to do OK with them (Compaq 386/16)
and some do not (Tandy 4000/16). Perhaps I just need to set some jumper
differently?

 So I'm looking for recommendations, preferably by E-mail. NFS and
Xwindows are vital to our operation but NFS is even more inportant
than Xwindows.

 My most immediate need is card that the Tandy 4000 can be happy
with but more 80386 PC's are comming ("Classic Bus", EISA and
Microchannel).

 -dave fetrow-                     fetrow@bones.biostat.washington.edu
 dfetrow@uwalocke (bitnet)         {uunet}!uw-beaver!uw-entropy!fetrow

"...it was the way she said my name: 'Rimmer', to rhyme with 'Scum'."

support@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Bill Hanrahan) (06/05/91)

Hi folks,

I've been asked by a faculty member, here at the university, to get him
some info on Ethernet cards for his IBM P70/386. Does anyone have any
suggestions, and phone numbers/addresses, of vendors I could contact?
Thanks for any assistance!

Bill Hanrahan			support@re.cc.binghamton.edu
SUNY Binghamton			hanrahan@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
607-777-6129

Dave.Chatfield@p0.f512.n157.z1.fidonet.org (Dave Chatfield) (06/13/91)

  If I remember correctly, the micro-channel version of 3COM's ethernet
offering is the 3C523. You might want to run that by a 3COM dealer,
though, since I'm not absolutely certain.

   -Dave

--- Opus-CBCS 1.14
 * Origin: OHIONet Express: ohiont.fidonet.org 216-842-5911 (1:157/512.0)
 |  Sent via ohiont.fidonet.org, home of the OHIONet Express BBS  |
 |  Fidonet 157/512:  The Cleveland UFGATE Internet Connection!   |