[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] X Windows on PC

engwall@mtha.usc.edu (Ralph Engwall) (06/05/91)

   I think there was something posted about this before, but it was quite a
way back.  I need info on Xterm emulator programs that will let a PC
function as an X terminal.  Any recommendations or suggestions welcome.  I
understand that these programs generally require at least a 386 PC for
decent performance and usually rely on one of the commercial TCP/IP packages
like FTP Software's PC/IP.  The perfect solution would use a PD/freeware
TCP/IP package and run under MS-Windows 3.0, but I'm a realist and I'll take
what I can get. :->

--
+-------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
|  Ralph Engwall          | Q: Why am I banging my head against the wall? |

tss@SSDS.COM (Tim Sesow) (06/05/91)

Re:  Ralph Engwall's request on X-server for PC:

We have used two products from the same vendor with various
levels of success:  Hummingbird's HCL-eXceed/Plus and
HCL-eXceed/W (for MS Windows).  Here are some general
impressions:

1. The eXceed/Plus package works relatively well if
all you want your PC to be is an X server.  It
really needs a good VGA/monitor since most
X clients expect some screen real estate.  The
640x480 of "standard" VGAs is a little small.
Also, the server only offers the client
the physical color mapping, so some applications
don't work when they require 256 colors and you
only have 16 color hardware (like Cabletron's
SPECTRUM network manager).

2. The eXceed/W package that we have is version 1.
We have serious problems with this package since
it rapidly uses up all Windows Resources when
running with the OLWM window manager (we
are going to try the MWM this week).  Basically,
it is unusable right now.  Hummingbird has
told us that they don't see the problem with
version 2, but we can't seem to get that
version without paying full price AGAIN.

Also, the MS Windows version of eXceed
has two modes, single and multiple
windows which means that you can run all
X windows in a single MS_Windows window or
multiple MS Windows windows.  If you
use multiple MS windows, you can't run
another window manager (like OLWM or MWM).
I usually use the single MS window mod
with my window manager on a Sparcstation.

chris@visionware.co.uk (Chris Davies) (06/06/91)

In article <33347@usc> engwall@mtha.usc.edu (Ralph Engwall) writes:
>way back.  I need info on Xterm emulator programs that will let a PC
>function as an X terminal.  Any recommendations or suggestions welcome.  I
>understand that these programs generally require at least a 386 PC for
>decent performance and usually rely on one of the commercial TCP/IP packages
>like FTP Software's PC/IP.  The perfect solution would use a PD/freeware
>TCP/IP package and run under MS-Windows 3.0, but I'm a realist and I'll take
>what I can get. :->

I don't know of any freeware (or even shareware) X terminal packages
for PCs.  The cheapest (financially) would be to (attempt to) crowbar
the MIT sources, but this would be a _lot_ of work (segmented
architecture, MS Windows, etc).

There are several commercial offerings - including our own XVision 4.0
(small plug!), which is an X11r4 server.  It uses one of several
possible TCP/IP packages; we specifically support FTP Software's
product.  Cost is US$ 499, details from vware@visionware.co.uk.  Or
contact Unipress Software on +1 201-985-8000 or Graphic Software
Systems on +1 503-641-2200.

Chris
--
         VISIONWARE LTD, 57 Cardigan Lane, LEEDS LS4 2LE, England
    Tel +44 532 788858.  Fax +44 532 304676.  Email chris@visionware.co.uk

UPH008@DDOHRZ11.BITNET (Wilhelm Becker) (06/06/91)

I'm interested in this too.

    Wilhelm Becker               Grau, teurer Freund, ist alle Theorie,
                                 Und gruen des Lebens goldner Baum
    Institut fuer Physik
    Universitaet Dortmund          Goethe, Faust I

    EARN:  UPH008@DDOHRZ11.BITNET

ian@unipalm.uucp (Ian Phillipps) (06/12/91)

chris@visionware.co.uk (Chris Davies) writes:

>In article <33347@usc> engwall@mtha.usc.edu (Ralph Engwall) writes:

>>I need info on Xterm emulator programs that will let a PC
>>function as an X terminal.  Any recommendations or suggestions welcome.  I
>>understand that these programs generally require at least a 386 PC for
>>decent performance and usually rely on one of the commercial TCP/IP packages
>>like FTP Software's PC/IP.  The perfect solution would use a PD/freeware

PCIP was the original public domain program. FTP's package is called PC/TCP.
Simple really. Just take a can of alphabet soup and...

>>TCP/IP package and run under MS-Windows 3.0, but I'm a realist and I'll take
>>what I can get. :->

>I don't know of any freeware (or even shareware) X terminal packages
>for PCs.  The cheapest (financially) would be to (attempt to) crowbar
>the MIT sources, but this would be a _lot_ of work (segmented
>architecture, MS Windows, etc).

>There are several commercial offerings - including our own XVision 4.0
>(small plug!), which is an X11r4 server.  It uses one of several
  ^^^^^^^^^^

Since Visionware are using the Usenet for commercial purposes, let me also
mention IIM's X11/AT product, which also uses Microsoft windows.
It has a number of advantages, such as being able to offer a client 256
colours - I've seen a number of clients mightily confused by 16-colour-only
servers.

There are also several PC-X servers which don't use Windows, and gain
somewhat in speed from this.

A previous correspondent has mentioned other packages - I don't know much
about them, so I can't comment.

In practice, the licence cost of FTP's kernel is low compared to most X
servers, especially for multiple users on a single site.  You only need
the kernel if all your interaction is going to be via X.

Ian
Disclaimer - we distribute FTP and IIM's products in the UK.
Nothing I've said is an opinion of FTP, IIM, Unipalm.

bunten@hpcndaw.CND.HP.COM (Steve Bunten) (06/19/91)

There are several different vendors who do provide X/Windows on the PC.
Some are DOS-based and a few are now Windows 3.0-based.  As mentioned
earlier there are three (that I know of) who support Windows - VisionWare's
X/Vision, Hummingbird's eXceed, and Integrated Inference Machines X11/AT.
They all support various TCP stacks such as FTP's, PC-NFS, HP PC ARPA
Services, and Novell/Excelan among others.

Among DOS X Servers, Quarterdeck has a product as well as Spectragrapics GSS
(PC Xview).  I know that Quarterdeck supports FTP's TCP & Novell and are
working on others.  PC Xview supports several networks including HP ARPA
Services and 3+Open TCP, although the brochure I have only lists Beame &
Whiteside.  IIM & Hummingbird also offer DOS-based X-Servers.

To contact each vendor I mentioned for more details and what they support,
their phone numbers are:

	VisionWare	612-377-3627 (US distributors are Unipress & GSS)
	Hummingbird	416-470-1203
	Quarterdeck	213-392-9851
	GSS		503-641-2200
	IIM		714-978-6776

I cannot tell you who's product is best.  I have seen all of them working
either here at HP or at various trade shows.  They all probably have their
own pluses and minuses.

Steve Bunten
HP Colorado Networks Division