[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] TCP/IP Questions: MSDOS/DEC-depca/DESQVIEW

sra@idx.com (06/14/91)

I have a couple of "simple" questions re TCP/IP.  Is there available
(preferably in public domain), a TCP/IP driver for MS-DOS for the old DEC
DEPCA boards?  Secondly, can it be installed at boot time to allow use by
multiple DESQview applications?

Will the CMU-PCIP package (at Simtel, etc) run on such a driver?

The only drivers I've seen seem to require a running task to "sit" on them.

thanks, steve

  /------------------------------------------------------------------------\
  \--------------------------- sra @ idx.com ------------------------------/

cmorgan@cc.curtin.edu.au (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun14.090810.2302@idx.com>, sra@idx.com writes:
> I have a couple of "simple" questions re TCP/IP.  Is there available
> (preferably in public domain), a TCP/IP driver for MS-DOS for the old DEC
> DEPCA boards?  Secondly, can it be installed at boot time to allow use by
> multiple DESQview applications?

If you have the NDIS driver DEPCA.DOS and the packet driver DIS_PKT.DOS
you can configure them for a packet driver interface for ALL depca boards -
old and new.  I have used this configuration successfully with the old DEPCA
boards.

You can then run NCSA Telnet, WINQVTNET or any other application that
supports packet drivers.

In my configuration CONFIG.SYS is as follows

BUFFERS=30
DEVICE = C:\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE = C:\SMARTDRV.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\ANSI.SYS
DEVICE=C:\LAN\PROTMAN.SYS /i:C:\LAN
device=c:\lan\depca.dos
DEVICE=C:\LAN\DIS_PKT.DOS
shell=c:\dos\command.com /p /e:526
Files=30
LASTDRIVE = H

The autoexec.bat contains:
c:
cd\lan
netbind
pktint
ipx
net3

An additional file protocol.ini is required in the directory specified by
the reference to protocol.ini in the config.sys.  It contains the following:

[protocol manager]
drivername = PROTMAN$

[pktdrv]
drivername = PKTDRV$
bindings = depca_nif
intvec = 0x61

; protocol.ini section for the DEC EtherWORKS (MC, LC, Turbo & DEPCA) Adapters
[DEPCA_NIF]
DriverName   = DEPCA$
MaxMulticast = 12
MaxTransmits = 32
AdapterName  = DEPCA
RamAddress   = 0xD000
Interrupt    = 3

Comments are shown by the use of the semi-colon ;-)

It is necessary to run netbing iin the autoexec to get the whole thing to
bind together.

> Will the CMU-PCIP package (at Simtel, etc) run on such a driver?

Don't know - But if you're running Windows in standard or Enhanced mode,
WINQVTNET is a nice product (Thanks QVT Software! - I'm registering real soon).
NCSA Telnet and ka9q don't have any problems either.

From what I can tell Pathworks 4 will work with the NDIS drivers - I'm
getting a copy soon, so I can only use TCP/IP or TCP/IP and Netware, but not
TCP/IP, Netware and Pathworks simultaneously.

The file DIS_PKT.DOS is available from vax.ftp.com in a directory called
packet.drivers or such like under pub.  I've seen DEPCA.DOS - was it in a
directory NDIS?

Hope this helps

Bruce Morgan
Curtin University