[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] TCP/IP and Windows 3.0 problems

vgl@sppy00.UUCP (LUCAS VINCE) (06/17/91)

We are unable to get two Windows 3.0 applications (VisionWare's XVision 3.0
under FTP Software's pctcp kernel and QPC Software's WinQVT/Net v1.6) to
run under enhanced mode, even though they both claim to run under it.  We
can run them just fine under standard mode, but when run under enhanced
mode, they produce the following error messages:

        WinQVT/Net v1.6 error messages:
                Unable to Open Session [-2]
                Unable to Open New Session
                Local host or gateway not responding

        XVision error messages:
                (from the Program Starter)
                Cannot open a connection to host-name.

Also, enhanced mode trashes the pctcp kernel.  Once it is started, whether
we exit windows immediately, or open a virtual machine, we can no longer
run ping, rlogin, or any pctcp application.

We are set-up as follows:  A Wyse 3225 (25 MHz 80386, ISA) running MS-DOS
4.01, using a 3com 3c503 ethernet board and the Clarkson packet driver
3c503.com version 9.0 (which we tried running with and without the -w flag).

For the WinQVT/Net package we do not run the pctcp kernel (ETHDRV), but we
do run the packet driver and the PKTINT.COM real-to-protected mode interface.
For the XVision package, we run the packet driver, the pctcp ETHDRV kernel,
and the NCIFTP.COM real-to-protected mode interface.

Can anyone out there tell us what to do to make these packages work under
enhanced mode?

                     Vince Lucas       |
                     OCLC, Inc.        |  vgl@aphrodite.rsch.oclc.org
                     6565 Frantz Rd.   |             or
                     Dublin, OH        |  ...!osu-cis!sppy00!vgl

--

mags@visionware.co.uk (Maggie Thomas) (06/19/91)

In article <1246@sppy00.UUCP> vgl@sppy00.UUCP (LUCAS VINCE) writes:

>We are unable to get two Windows 3.0 applications (VisionWare's XVision 3.0
>under FTP Software's pctcp kernel and QPC Software's WinQVT/Net v1.6) to
>run under enhanced mode, even though they both claim to run under it.  We
>can run them just fine under standard mode,

It really does look like Windows in enhanced mode is the cause of all your
problems.  XVision certainly does run in enhanced mode - I am running it
like this at the moment.

>Also, enhanced mode trashes the pctcp kernel.  Once it is started, whether
>we exit windows immediately, or open a virtual machine, we can no longer
>run ping, rlogin, or any pctcp application.

I think this is they key to your problem.  If you cannot run pc/tcp's
telnet in a vm window, you will not be able to run XVision under Windows.
In enhanced mode, Windows "grabs" all the memory it can lay its hands on.
This will include any memory your card is using, which explains why your
kernel is being trashed - something in Windows is writing over (part of)
it.  You will need to edit the [386Enh] section in your SYSTEM.INI file, to
add the line

		EMMExclude=[memory range](,[memory range],....)

where [memory range] is the memory you set up for your board (I can't
remember if you set it with jump switches on your board _and_ in your card
driver software with the 3c503, or whether you set it just in software).
If you have to exclude more than one area, use commas to delimit the
different ranges you give.  The above description isn't terribly useful,
have a couple of examples:

		emmexclude=E000-EFFF
or
		emmexclude=E000-EFFF, D000-DFFF

>For the WinQVT/Net package we do not run the pctcp kernel (ETHDRV), but we
>do run the packet driver and the PKTINT.COM real-to-protected mode interface.
>For the XVision package, we run the packet driver, the pctcp ETHDRV kernel,
>and the NCIFTP.COM real-to-protected mode interface.

I am guessing completely here, but the above solution should fix this
problem also, if it is the same memory clash problem.

>Can anyone out there tell us what to do to make these packages work under
>enhanced mode?

Hope this helps.

>                     Vince Lucas       |
>                     OCLC, Inc.        |  vgl@aphrodite.rsch.oclc.org
>                     6565 Frantz Rd.   |             or
>                     Dublin, OH        |  ...!osu-cis!sppy00!vgl

Maggie Thomas,
VisionWare Technical Support.
[mags@visionware.co.uk]