[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] Implementations of Post Office Protocol

A563700@CUCSC.BITNET ("C.H. Cheng, The Chinese Univ. of Hong Kong") (06/20/91)

Hi all,

I'm new to this list so I don't know if this has been talked about before.
Are there any client implementations of this protocol in commercial products
for PCs?  How about FTP's PC/TCP for DOS?

How about server implementations on Unix and VMS?

Thanks in advance.

C.H. Cheng
The Chinese University of Hong Kong.

hughes@logos.ucs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) (06/21/91)

In article <A418A215A0407A98@CUCSC.BITNET> A563700@CUCSC.BITNET ("C.H. Cheng, The Chinese Univ. of Hong Kong") writes:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm new to this list so I don't know if this has been talked about before.
>Are there any client implementations of this protocol in commercial products
>for PCs?  How about FTP's PC/TCP for DOS?

Yes, FTP Software has a client POP2 and POP3.  I expect there are others
commercial implementations too.

>How about server implementations on Unix and VMS?

Berkeley has a UNIX POP3 server available via anonymous ftp on
lilac.berkeley.edu.  Look in /pub/popper.  Version 1.7 is the
current version, and there's a beta version of 1.8.

Indiana University has a VMS POP3 server available via anonymous
ftp on logos.ucs.indiana.edu.  Look in /pub/iupop3/v1.6a.  This
works with Wollongong's WIN/TCP, TGV's Multinet, and Digital's UCX
TCP/IP networking products.

There are also other implementations of UNIX and VMS pop servers, but
we use these with success.

 //=========================================================================\\
||       Larry J. Hughes, Jr.        ||          hughes@indiana.edu          ||
||        Indiana University         ||                                      ||
||   University Computing Services   ||   "The person who knows everything   ||
||    750 N. State Road 46 Bypass    ||      has a lot to learn."            ||
||      Bloomington, IN  47405       ||                                      ||
||         (812) 855-9255            ||   Disclaimer: Same as my quote...    ||
 \\==========================================================================//

TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) (06/22/91)

In article <A418A215A0407A98@CUCSC.BITNET>, A563700@CUCSC.BITNET ("C.H. Cheng,
The Chinese Univ. of Hong Kong") says:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm new to this list so I don't know if this has been talked about before.
>Are there any client implementations of this protocol in commercial products
>for PCs?  How about FTP's PC/TCP for DOS?
>
>How about server implementations on Unix and VMS?

Sun Microsystems has a product called LifeLine Mail which allows people to
send and receive mail from their PCs using either SMTP or the POP protocol.
We are running the POP implementation here and it seems to work very well.

Cheers,
Thomas Dwyer III
tomiii@mtu.edu

backman@FTP.COM (Larry Backman) (06/24/91)

 >> >How about server implementations on Unix and VMS?
 >>
 >> Berkeley has a UNIX POP3 server available via anonymous ftp on
 >> lilac.berkeley.edu.  Look in /pub/popper.  Version 1.7 is the
 >> current version, and there's a beta version of 1.8.
 >>
 >> Indiana University has a VMS POP3 server available via anonymous
 >> ftp on logos.ucs.indiana.edu.  Look in /pub/iupop3/v1.6a.  This
 >> works with Wollongong's WIN/TCP, TGV's Multinet, and Digital's UCX
 >> TCP/IP networking products.
 >>
 >> There are also other implementations of UNIX and VMS pop servers, but
 >> we use these with success.

FTP Software's PCTCP for OS/2 comes with a Sendmail & Pop3 server.

					Larry Backman
					backman@ftp.com

fks@FTP.COM (Frances Selkirk) (06/25/91)

To the best of my knowledge, here is the current POP situation.

DOS POP clients in commercial TCP/IP packages:

	Sun's Lifeline			POP2 client
	IBM's TCP/IP package 		POP2 client
	FTP Software's PC/TCP 		POP2 and POP3 clients, and PCMAIL.

POP servers for Berkeley-style UNIX available by anonymous ftp:

	ucdavis.edu		/dist/pop3d, /dist/pop2d
	lilac.berkeley.edu	popper-1.7.tar.Z 	  (pop3)
	ics.uci.edu		mh/mh-6.7.tar.Z		  (pop3)
	thezoo.eng.clemson.edu	/pop3/pop3d.shar

Pop servers for VMS available by anonymous ftp:
	vx.acs.umn.edu			(I don't have file names)
	trident.arc.nasa.gov
	mythos.ucs.indiana.edu		/pub/iupop3/
	     (currently requires Wollongong WIN/TCP for VMS)

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 fks@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880