[comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc] pointer to CHARON?

pwb@newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Paul W. Brooks) (06/23/91)

Dear Networkers,
	A while ago a flurry or messages passed by about CHARON,  a
PD/Shareware bi-directional print spooler between UN*X and Novell Netware. Now
I have a need for it, and can't find it or a reference to it anywhere. Could
some kind soul point me to a FTP site somewhere I might pick it up?
	Thanks in anticipation...

Paul Brooks        |Internet: pwb@newt.phys.unsw.edu.au
Uni. of N.S.W.     |If you have trouble sleeping, try lying on the end of
Kensington NSW 2033|   your bed. With a little luck you'll drop off.
AUSTRALIA          |                              - Mark Twain.

elaps@lut.ac.uk (Alan Schwarzenberger) (06/25/91)

Charon and pegasus mail are on omnigate.clarkson.edu 128.153.4.2

Alan Schwarzenberger    tel +44 509 222849     A.P.Schwarzenberger@lut.ac.uk
International Electronics Reliability Institute, Loughborough University, UK

djmolta@rodan.acs.syr.edu (David J. Molta) (06/27/91)

In article <1792@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au>, pwb@newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Paul W. Brooks) writes:
|> Dear Networkers,
|> 	A while ago a flurry or messages passed by about CHARON,  a
|> PD/Shareware bi-directional print spooler between UN*X and Novell Netware. Now
|> I have a need for it, and can't find it or a reference to it anywhere. Could
|> some kind soul point me to a FTP site somewhere I might pick it up?
|> 	Thanks in anticipation...
|>
|> Paul Brooks        |Internet: pwb@newt.phys.unsw.edu.au
|> Uni. of N.S.W.     |If you have trouble sleeping, try lying on the end of
|> Kensington NSW 2033|   your bed. With a little luck you'll drop off.
|> AUSTRALIA          |                              - Mark Twain.

Try splicer.cba.hawaii.edu or sun.soe.clarkson.edu.

As you may be aware, there are several versions of Charon.  It originated
as a Unix-NetWare print spooler, but has been modified to serve as a gateway
for David Harris' Pegasus Mail program.  Unfortunately, I believe I am
correct in stating that the latest version of Charon, which works well
as an SMTP Gateway with Pegasus, does not work for the function you need.
You'll need an older version.

Sorry I don't have the details with respect to version numbers.  Perhaps
someone else can fill in the details.

-Dave Molta
Syracuse University

paul@k9.hawkesbury.uws.EDU.AU (Paul Hardaker) (07/01/91)

djmolta@rodan.acs.syr.edu (David J. Molta) writes:

>In article <1792@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au>, pwb@newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Paul W. Brooks) writes:
>|> Dear Networkers,
>|> 	A while ago a flurry or messages passed by about CHARON,  a
>|> PD/Shareware bi-directional print spooler between UN*X and Novell Netware. Now
>|> I have a need for it, and can't find it or a reference to it anywhere. Could
>|> some kind soul point me to a FTP site somewhere I might pick it up?
>|> 	Thanks in anticipation...
>|>
>|> Paul Brooks        |Internet: pwb@newt.phys.unsw.edu.au
>|> Uni. of N.S.W.     |If you have trouble sleeping, try lying on the end of
>|> Kensington NSW 2033|   your bed. With a little luck you'll drop off.
>|> AUSTRALIA          |                              - Mark Twain.

>Try splicer.cba.hawaii.edu or sun.soe.clarkson.edu.

>As you may be aware, there are several versions of Charon.  It originated
>as a Unix-NetWare print spooler, but has been modified to serve as a gateway
>for David Harris' Pegasus Mail program.  Unfortunately, I believe I am
>correct in stating that the latest version of Charon, which works well
>as an SMTP Gateway with Pegasus, does not work for the function you need.
>You'll need an older version.

>Sorry I don't have the details with respect to version numbers.  Perhaps
>someone else can fill in the details.

I asked the author Brad Clements about this, his reply was that lpr support
for version 3 is expected soon. Until then you need version 2.0A.

Paul Hardaker
Uni of Western Sydney, Hawkesbury
P.Hardaker@uws.edu.au