[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Universal Import Button from WINDOID, Issue 3

dean@aoa.UUCP (Dean Wormell) (11/01/87)

hypermunch, munch...

Hi, I am a novice Hypertalk hacker, so please understand if I'm missing the
obvious here...

In the last posting of WINDOID (Issue 3), there was a button script (Universal
Import Button, by Gary Bond, Rev. 2.2) for importing text and data into
HyperCard.  I copied the script, created a new stack with standard backround
buttons (Home, etc...), created a field for imported text, and created a button
that contained the copy of the import script.

The first thing I noticed was that all the answer commands required the
insertion of quotation marks, which I added.  Then, when running the script,
it would not get past the line:

	answer "Import text file as:" with "Data" or "Text" or "Cancel"

Upon pressing any of the three buttons, I would get an error message stating

	"Can't understand what comes after="

or something similar to that.

I searched for an =, and found one in a repeat command.  Replacing the = with
of did not help.

The funny thing is that in other script error messages, (I've seen a few :-)),
when you press the goto script button, you exit to the error in the script.
With this error, you exit to the first line in the script (on mouseUp).

Do I need to put some other scripts in the background or card to make this
work, or what? Help, please!

--

		Dean Wormell

			...!{harvard,ima}!bbn!aohow, de

hyperbug@apple.UUCP (Keith Rollin) (11/02/87)

In article <514@aoa.UUCP> dean@aoa.UUCP (Dean Wormell) writes:

>In the last posting of WINDOID (Issue 3), there was a button script (Universal
>Import Button, by Gary Bond, Rev. 2.2) for importing text and data into
>HyperCard.  I copied the script, created a new stack with standard backround
>buttons (Home, etc...), created a field for imported text, and created a button
>that contained the copy of the import script.
>
>The first thing I noticed was that all the answer commands required the
>insertion of quotation marks, which I added.  Then, when running the script,
>it would not get past the line:
>
>	answer "Import text file as:" with "Data" or "Text" or "Cancel"

[More discussion of problems with the stack]

I'm sorry for the oversight. Apparently I tried to post the latest version of
Windoid riddled with curly quotes. The newsletter is originally laid out in
PageMaker, and then converted to text for uploading to BBS's. However, we
forgot to change the curly quotes to regular quotes. Somewhere  along the way,
some kindly process decided to strip them out altogether.

I will go get that file, change those curly beasties, and repost. Sorry for the
confusion...

--

Apple's HyperCard Grievance Center
"Give us your bugs, your comments, your gentle criticisms..."

UUCP:  {pyramid!sun,voder,nsc,ucbvax!mtxinu,dual,decwrl,amdahl}!apple!hyperbug