[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] SND Resources with a Mac+ and HC

kateley@apple.UUCP (Jim Kateley) (10/30/87)

In article <404UD069225@NDSUVM1> UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric H. Romo) writes:

>Also since I haven't received a response from a previous post I will re-state
>it. How exactly do you call up a snd resource with Hypercard scripts? I
		        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You can use the "play" command in HC to play any sound.  The Boing sound
built into HC is an example of this.  The syntax of the play command is:

play "voice" [ tempo ] [ "notes" ]

For example, 'play "boing"'
will play the boing sample.  You can also play notes based on a sample
by using the optional notes.  The notes are specified in the following form:

notename accidental octave duration

Notename can be a thru g, accidental is # and b specify sharp and flat,
octave is a number specifying the pitch of the scale (4 is the "middle c"
scale) and duration specifies the relative time value of the note played:

w	whole note
h	half note
q	quarter note
e	eight note
s	16th note
t	32th note
x	64th note

and an optional . or 3 following duration can be used to specify a dotted
or triplet not.

Now, and example:

play "boing" tempo 200 "c4e c dq c e# eh"

The complete definition of the play command is in "Hypercard Script
Language Guide" available from APDA.  Most of this article is from
the guide, page 7-11 (working draft 4)

--

Jim Kateley
Applelink: kateley1

Disclaimer:   What I say, think, or smell does not reflect any policy or
	      stray thought by Apple Computer, Inc.

Remember:
When you smile :-), the world smiles with you,
When you frown :-(, the : and - keys think they are getting picked on

nazgul@apollo.uucp (Kee Hinckley) (11/03/87)

In article <404UD069225@NDSUVM1> UD069225@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Eric H. Romo) writes:
> I've got some snd resources that I believe were meant for use on the MacII--
> Can I use these with my Mac+, if so, How??
>
> Also since I haven't received a response from a previous post I will re-state
> it. How exactly do you call up a snd resource with Hypercard scripts? I
> read through the Help stacks desscription on this topic, but it didn't
> appear to work. Please give me a fairly detailed lesson on this matter.
>
> Thank you in advance for replies on both these inquiries, Eric.
> -------

snd resources should be usable on any mac --- from Hypercard.
If they are in different files then copy them into Hypercard using resedit
(or you can copy them into a stack, or even into your system file I suppose).
If you need help on resedit ask, but it's fairly straightforward.  Then in
Hypercard just say
    play "name-of-snd-resource"
and you should be all set.
--