[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] hypercard & TOPS

prm@aplcen.UUCP (Paul Raymond McMullin) (11/05/87)

I installed the 3/18/87 upgrade to TOPS on a few of our MAC+ computers
yesterday, and now hypercard freezes up while opening... hypercard appears
to run if you reboot holding down the option key, and tell "interbase" and
"tops" to not install themselves.  Does Centram (or Sun's TOPS division)
listen to this group?

Please mail a response back -- I'd also like a response from a MacPerson...

prm@aplvax.apra   ...mimsy!aplcen!prm   prm1@apluts%bitnet

-Paul McMullin
--
Paul R. McMullin

kateley@apple.UUCP (Jim Kateley) (11/08/87)

In article <251@aplcen.UUCP> prm@aplcen.UUCP (Paul Raymond McMullin) writes:
>I installed the 3/18/87 upgrade to TOPS on a few of our MAC+ computers
>yesterday, and now hypercard freezes up while opening... hypercard appears
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
When you installed Tops, did you use the Tops installer?  If so, that is
most likely your problem.  Tops works fine with HC, the problem you are having
is the older Tops installer replaces some system resources with older ones.
Possible fixes:  Get a new system file, drag copy the Tops files, and use
the font/da mover to install the Tops DA.  If you need to install Tops on a
large number of machines, you can use the Tops installer if you make a 800K
installer disk, with the newer system (4.1).  You need a 800K disk as
all the stuff will not fit on a 400K disk :-)  Also, remember to make
the 800K disk by copying everything from the 400K disk (including the system)
and using one of Apple's installers to update it.  Otherwise, you will not
have the Tops DA in your system on the installer disk.

--

Jim Kateley
Applelink: kateley1

Disclaimer:   What I say, think, or smell does not reflect any policy or
	      stray thought by Apple Computer, Inc.

Remember:
When you smile :-), the world smiles with you,
When you frown :-(, the : and - keys think they are getting picked on