Date: 	Fri, 30 Oct 87 14:55:57 PST
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Eliminating the card window

You can get rid of  your screen altogether by "set visible of cardwindow to
false"

Jon

--------------------------------
Date: 	Fri, 30 Oct 87 15:11:21 PST
From: PUGH@NMFECC.ARPA
Subject: Problems with hiding the card window

One problem with hiding the card window is that Hypercard ignores all keyboard
input after that.  You cannot do a command-m to get the message window or use
any function keys on the extended keyboard.  It also ignores blind typing in
this mode.  The only thing to do is pull down the message menu item.  This is
completely bogus!  I would classify it as a bug since getting rid of the
window under MultiFinder is a desired thing and it would be nice to be able to
get it back.

Currently I use this script:

    set visible of card window to false
    put "Set visible of card window to true"
    show msg

Jon

--------------------------------
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 87 06:06:08 PST
From: halff@nprdc.arpa (Henry Halff)
Subject: Re:  HYPER-HACKERS Digest Vol. 1 #2

> Subject: Attaching new icons to Stacks?

> In Goodman's "Hypercard Handbook" he makes a vague reference to attaching
> new icons to stacks that one plans to distribute.  How is this done?

Open your Hypercard stack in ResEdit.  Choose NEW from the file menu
and ICON from the popup menu.  Then choose NEW again from the file
menu.  You'll get a blank window in which you can draw your icon.
Close and save the icon you draw and repeat the NEW choice for as many
icons as you want to draw.  When you're done, quit Resedit, saving
everything.  Then open the same stack in Hypercard.  When you choose an
icon for one of your buttons, you'll see the icons you drew appear (as
if by magic) in the icon window.

> And while I'm asking: how about iconifying snippets of clip art?

You can COPY (in the EDIT menu) little Bitmap rectangles from Macpaint
or Hypercard and paste them into the icon editing windows in Resedit.
On a 1 meg machine, Resedit and Macpaint will fit in a switcher set,
but Resedit and Hypercard will not fit in the same set :-(.

--------------------------------
Date: 3 Nov 87 12:55 PST
From: newman.pasa@Xerox.COM
Subject: searchscripts script

I just discovered a script in the home stack that I did not know about,
and have not seen documented anywhere.  It is called searchscripts, and
it takes two arguments: a "pattern" and a stack name.  It searches the
scripts of the stack named for the string pattern, and brings up the
editor in all the right places.  Once in the editor, you execute a find
command (yeah, it should be better integrated, but ...), and there you are!

Now you know how to find all the places where you called foo but wanted
to call bar.  I think the script could be changed to a global search and
replace command too.

--------------------------------
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 87 11:06 EST
From: David Bogartz <IDDAVIDB@aahbo.com>
Subject: Keydown messages

The scripts below show a quick and very dirty way to get HyperCard to
send a message when the user presses a key (other than return, tab,
and the arrow keys).  It doesn't work for number keys, and it probably
isn't right for some applications, but it's simple and will probably
work in many cases.

The basic idea is that there is an idle handler in the background
script that looks in the message box and grabs whatever is there.
Then, for each keystroke, it generates the event "key" with the char
that the user pressed as a parameter.

The trick is how to deal with the message box.  It looks like the
message box is hidden, but in point of fact you can't have the message
box hidden because (as far as I can tell) whenever you put something
into the message box, HyperCard shows it, even if the screen is
locked.  So I have it visible, but offscreen.  (Of course, this only
works on a small screen Mac.)

This application lets the user press the keys A through G to play the
respective notes A through G on the harpsichord keyboard.

Background script
=================

on idle
  put the message box into k
  if k is not empty then
    repeat with i = 1 to length(k)
      do "key " & quote & char i of k & quote
    end repeat
    put empty into the message box
  end if
end idle

on key c
  play "harpsichord" tempo 200 c
end key

Stack script
============

on openStack
  set the loc of msg to -473, 345
  set blindtyping to true
end openStack

============

I'd be interested in any feedback or improvements on this code that
you may have.  If you send messages directly to me, I will summarize
to the net.

David S. Bogartz
dsbogartz@amherst.bitnet

***********************************
End of HYPER-HACKERS Digest

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (11/12/87)

In article <33113@sun.uucp> chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>Subject: Re: HYPER-HACKERS Digest Vol. 1 #3
                                           `-- the truth

>		     HYPER-HACKERS Digest Vol. 1 #2
                                                  `-- an untruth

>                              Subjects:
> Re:  HYPER-HACKERS Digest Vol. 1 #2 (Attaching new icons to Stacks?)
                                    `-- a clue

Chuq,

I love the digest, it really saves me the problem of archiving all sorts of
useful notes, and it gives me access to the non-usenet stuff.  But please,
before it gets out of hand, make sure the numbering is right.  I know that a
surprising number of people are using news-readers which, either by accident
or by design, filter the header info.  They are going to be confused people.

So who does have a nice Mac word processor which can correctly reference an
ordered series of documents? :-)

Robert_S
--
Robert Stanley           Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
Voice: (613) 738-1440 (Research: there are 2!)           3755 Riverside Drive