[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] CD-ROM drivers now laserdisk apps

borton@net1.ucsd.edu (Chris Borton) (11/15/87)

In article <1306@ems.Ems.MN.ORG> andrew@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Andrew C.Esh) writes:
>In article <385209df.b0a1@apollo.uucp> nazgul@apollo.UUCP(Kee Hinckley) writes:
>
>>P.S.  They also include drivers for a number of different CD-ROM systems!
>
>Sorry, but those drivers are for LaserDisk Video Players.  The idea is to allow
>use of CAV VideoDisks for instruction, information retrieval and such, with
>HyperCard picking out the video sequences and playing them.  This will be a
>true and exciting hypertext application when it gets going.

This is already very alive and going, judging by the demo I was treated to two
weeks ago.  Stanford is doing a great deal of work in this area and a demo of
what they had done for teaching drama was given at UCSD.  They first showed a
videotape of the original IBM system they had, then the HyperCard version using
a Pioneer 6000 LaserDisk.

The application presented four main analytical areas of drama, and used several
scenes from Shakespeare's MacBeth to illustrate the points being made.  One of
the best parts was that they had two versions of the play on the videodisk: the
classic Oliviet and also a Russian version.  This provided, in itself,
marvelous comparison.

Excited and humming...-cbb
Chris "Johann" Borton, UC San Diego	...!sdcsvax!borton
					borton@ucsd.edu or BORTON@UCSD.BITNET
Letztes Jahr in Deutschland, nog een jaar hier, en dan naar Amsterdam!
"H = F cubed.  Happiness = Food, Fun, & Friends."  --Steve Wozniak