[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] Seeing Bill Atkinson

hunt@cg-atla.UUCP (Walter Hunt X7031) (11/25/87)

In article <2772@sphinx.uchicago.edu> cute@sphinx.uchicago.edu.UUCP (John Cavallino) writes:

>Last week I attended a talk given by Bill Atkinson at a Chicago Mac users
>group meeting.  One of the things he stated emphatically was that HyperCard is
>NOT a straight database, nor was it intended to be.  Bill calls HyperCard a
>"software Erector Set, only you can make new parts."  Bill is currently on a
>tour of user groups around the country, sponsered by Apple.  If you can get
>to see him, GO!!  He's lots of fun and very informative.  Seeing him playing
>around with HyperCard is just awesome.
>	JohnC

He played to a packed house at MIT in Cambridge, Mass.  (Boston
Computer Society's Mac SIG) on November 11.  Dan Winkler was there,
too, showing off HyperTalk.  Bill looked really pleased at the
response to HyperCard itself, and confirmed the comment posted here
a while ago that HC is only part way done.  He said that one of the
things they're working on is attaching a button to a specific string
in a field, rather than an absolute card location -- this would
solve a problem with buttons in scrolling fields, or changing text
attributes on a field.  That would make HC many times more powerful
for an application I'm working on.

The fact that Bill thinks HC is only partway done should help to
defuse some of the criticism of HyperCard, since I imagine that 2.0
will be a substantial improvement, perhaps taking some of those very
criticisms into account.  I can't wait to see it :-)

Walter

"I don't have a license to kill . . . but M.I.6 doesn't care if I
maim."
		-- overheard during a session of
		   the James Bond 007 Role-Playing Game.