[comp.sys.mac.hypercard] problems with visual effects

rusty@velveeta.berkeley.edu (11/09/87)

Sorry if this is has already been discussed.  Please mail me your
response.

On a Mac II with multifinder and the system (4.2?) and finder (6.0?)
that came with multifinder none of the visual effects (zoom, barn door,
iris, wipe, etc.) work.  Has anybody heard of this bug?  Is there any
way to fix it?

--------------------------------------
	rusty c. wright
	rusty@weyl.berkeley.edu ucbvax!weyl!rusty

andrew@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Andrew C.Esh) (11/13/87)

In article <4@ovaltine.berkeley.edu> rusty@velveeta.berkeley.edu () writes:
>Sorry if this is has already been discussed.  Please mail me your
>response.
>
>On a Mac II with multifinder and the system (4.2?) and finder (6.0?)
>that came with multifinder none of the visual effects (zoom, barn door,
>iris, wipe, etc.) work.  Has anybody heard of this bug?  Is there any
>way to fix it?
>
>--------------------------------------
>	rusty c. wright
>	rusty@weyl.berkeley.edu ucbvax!weyl!rusty

	If you set the number of colors to 2 the effects work fine.  It has to
	do with the screen memory use; the effects must have been written for
	the Old-Fashioned black-and-white displays, with traps to ignore the
	color displays.  You should see MacPaint in 256 colors: Five cute little
	multi-colored windows across the top of the screen, all synchronously
	updating. :-)

						       - Andrew

P.S.   I love my ationaationa

mike@ronin.cc.umich.edu (Michael Nowak) (11/13/87)

In article <4@ovaltine.berkeley.edu> rusty@velveeta.berkeley.edu () writes:
>On a Mac II with multifinder and the system (4.2?) and finder (6.0?)
>that came with multifinder none of the visual effects (zoom, barn door,
>iris, wipe, etc.) work.  Has anybody heard of this bug?  Is there any
>way to fix it?
>
>--------------------------------------
>	rusty c. wright
>	rusty@weyl.berkeley.edu ucbvax!weyl!rusty

I believe the problem is that HyperCard only works in monochrome.  If you
select two grays from the Control Panel Monitor option, you'll get your
visual effects back.

 In Real Life:	Michael Nowak                        |  Cogito
 Via Internet:	mike@ronin.cc.umich.edu              |     Ergo
 Via UUCP:	uunet!umix!ronin.cc.umich.edu!mike   |        Zoom!

 Working for but in no way representing the University of Michigan.

john@felix.UUCP (John Gilbert) (11/17/87)

In article <4@ovaltine.berkeley.edu> rusty@velveeta.berkeley.edu () writes:
>Sorry if this is has already been discussed.  Please mail me your
>response.
>
>On a Mac II with multifinder and the system (4.2?) and finder (6.0?)
>that came with multifinder none of the visual effects (zoom, barn door,
>iris, wipe, etc.) work.  Has anybody heard of this bug?  Is there any
>way to fix it?

I had never heard of it, but I have observed the exact same thing.  I had
a small presentation stack with some nice dissolves in it which failed to
do anything but some default, tho I think the default was wipe down, which
I don't think is the normal default.  At any rate, I wanted to lend
credence to your report.

John G.
--
John Gilbert
!trwrb!felix!john

hyperbug@apple.UUCP (Keith Rollin) (11/18/87)

In article <13160@felix.UUCP> john@felix.UUCP (John Gilbert) writes:
>In article <4@ovaltine.berkeley.edu> rusty@velveeta.berkeley.edu () writes:
>>Sorry if this is has already been discussed.  Please mail me your
>>response.
>>
>>On a Mac II with multifinder and the system (4.2?) and finder (6.0?)
>>that came with multifinder none of the visual effects (zoom, barn door,
>>iris, wipe, etc.) work.  Has anybody heard of this bug?  Is there any
>>way to fix it?
>
>I had never heard of it, but I have observed the exact same thing.  I had
>a small presentation stack with some nice dissolves in it which failed to
>do anything but some default, tho I think the default was wipe down, which
>I don't think is the normal default.  At any rate, I wanted to lend
>credence to your report.

It's OK; we know about this one. Actually, it's not a bug, but an honest
to <name your diety> feature that the programmers worked hard at to put in.
Because of speed and memory limitation (mostly speed), visual effects are
disabled when your screen is using 2 or more bits per pixel. You can get the
visual effects back by pulling up the Control Panel and using the Monitors
cdev to set the display back to 1 bit/pixel (2 color mode).

The default wipe is "Plain", I think. This just plops the new card over the
other, with no effects other than the one inherant in a BlockMove().
--

Apple's HyperCard Grievance Center
"Give us your bugs, your comments, your gentle criticisms..."

UUCP:  {pyramid!sun,voder,nsc,ucbvax!mtxinu,dual,decwrl,amdahl}!apple!hyperbug

drc@dbase.UUCP (11/18/87)

In article <13160@felix.UUCP>, john@felix.UUCP (John Gilbert) writes:
> In article <4@ovaltine.berkeley.edu> rusty@velveeta.berkeley.edu () writes:
> >Sorry if this is has already been discussed.  Please mail me your
> >response.
> >
> >On a Mac II with multifinder and the system (4.2?) and finder (6.0?)
> >that came with multifinder none of the visual effects (zoom, barn door,
> >iris, wipe, etc.) work.  Has anybody heard of this bug?  Is there any
> >way to fix it?
>
> I had never heard of it, but I have observed the exact same thing.  I had
> a small presentation stack with some nice dissolves in it which failed to
> do anything but some default, tho I think the default was wipe down, which
> I don't think is the normal default.  At any rate, I wanted to lend
> credence to your report.

The observation is correct.  If you want to see the visual effects on your Mac
II, you need to go to "2-bit" mode.  Bill Atkinson does not support the visual
effects if you aren't in "standard Mac" video mode.  The visual effects are
produced by writing directly to the screen, just as MacPaint does, but at least
in HyperCard he checks to see what his environment is and turns off the effects
if the video mode doesn't support it.  If you really want to see some wierd
behavior, run HyperCard on the II under MultiFinder and start switching windows.
Try to guess which window is in front.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
--------------------------
Disclaimer:  ^^ My opinions, all mine ^^

edmoy@opal.berkeley.edu.UUCP (11/18/87)

In article <6765@apple.UUCP> hyperbug@apple.UUCP (Keith Rollin) writes:
>It's OK; we know about this one. Actually, it's not a bug, but an honest
>to <name your diety> feature that the programmers worked hard at to put in.
>Because of speed and memory limitation (mostly speed), visual effects are
>disabled when your screen is using 2 or more bits per pixel. You can get the
>visual effects back by pulling up the Control Panel and using the Monitors
>cdev to set the display back to 1 bit/pixel (2 color mode).
>
>The default wipe is "Plain", I think. This just plops the new card over the
>other, with no effects other than the one inherant in a BlockMove().
>--
>
>Apple's HyperCard Grievance Center
>"Give us your bugs, your comments, your gentle criticisms..."
>
>UUCP:  {pyramid!sun,voder,nsc,ucbvax!mtxinu,dual,decwrl,amdahl}!apple!hyperbug

I suggest having this a configurable option on the next version of HyperCard.
I think many (if not most) people would be willing to give up speed for some
of the neat visual effects.  Setting the screen back to 1 bit is a pain.
Also, if someone wrote an external command that could display color, then
he could have both color and visual effects.

Edward Moy
Academic Computing Services
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@opal.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!opal!edmoy

andrew@ems.UUCP (11/19/87)

	And if we large screen users could upsize the HyperCard screen,
I'm sure we'd be grateful.

					      - Andrew

john@felix.UUCP (John Gilbert) (11/19/87)

In article <6765@apple.UUCP> hyperbug@apple.UUCP (Keith Rollin) writes:
>In article <13160@felix.UUCP> john@felix.UUCP (John Gilbert) writes:
>>I had never heard of it, but I have observed the exact same thing.  I had
>>a small presentation stack with some nice dissolves in it which failed to
>>do anything but some default, tho I think the default was wipe down, which
>>I don't think is the normal default.  At any rate, I wanted to lend
>>credence to your report.
>>

>It's OK; we know about this one. Actually, it's not a bug, but an honest
>to <name your diety> feature that the programmers worked hard at to put in.
>Because of speed and memory limitation (mostly speed), visual effects are
>disabled when your screen is using 2 or more bits per pixel. You can get the
>visual effects back by pulling up the Control Panel and using the Monitors
>cdev to set the display back to 1 bit/pixel (2 color mode).

This seems more like a limitation than a "feature".  A feature would probably
allow for global defaults to turn the thing on or off.  My scripts use
dissolve.  I actually want them to go somewhat slow (Mac + speed is almost
faster than I want).  If speed is the driveing factor, why not let the
user decide if they want the effects on or off after they see how fast it
is.

In my case, my presentation has some cards that are aligned such that a
dissolve has a very nice fading effect, and the wipe just looks bad.

Is there any plan for supporting such global parameters which can be controled
for the individual machine?  Ones that last longer than the duration of
the particular message handler script?  I can understand them not being in the
first release, but will we ever see them?

John Gilbert
--
John Gilbert
!trwrb!felix!john

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) (11/25/87)

In article <5967@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> edmoy@opal.berkeley.edu () writes:
>I suggest having this a configurable option on the next version of HyperCard.
>I think many (if not most) people would be willing to give up speed for some
>of the neat visual effects.  Setting the screen back to 1 bit is a pain.
>Also, if someone wrote an external command that could display color, then
>he could have both color and visual effects.

Keith, I agree with Ed.  Consider the case where someone has specified

	visual effect dissolve very slowly

and you are refusing to dissolve at all in the interest of speed.
Kind of silly.  So, it might be worthwhile not only making it
configurable, but allowing it to depend on the specified speed,
e.g., do it if slowly or very slowly are specified, but not otherwise.
This limit may have to depend on the number of bits per pixel.

The memory limitations are acceptable if necessary, but does the code check
to see whether it is running on (say) an 8 MB Mac II with 6 MB free?  Hah,
I thought not.  This check should not take as long as performing an effect,
and so would be worth adding.

--
	Howard A. Landman
	{oliveb,hplabs}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard